Go clean your Remora

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Remora skimmer was working pretty good for a few weeks, then the skimmate output just sort of went away. I was not getting much of anything in the cup, even at the lowest setting. I thought I was potentially out of stuff to skim. I cleaned the collection cup and the Maxi-Jet 1200 with no success. I was under the impression that the spray injector "never" clogged, especially after just a month of use. I was reading around and some people on RC had the same problem as me. Someone reccomend a good cleaning.

Last night I cleaned the collection cup and neck like I normally do, scrubbed the skimmer riser section with a new toothbrush, and cleaned the injector with the AquaC supplied brush. I have had the skimmer for about a month, this is the first time I cleaned the injector and riser. The cleaning took me about 5 minutes. 8 hours after the cleaning, I had more skimmate in the collection cup than I have collected in the last week :)

Anyone not getting enough skimmate from a Remora, try those steps. Clean the cup/neck, riser, and injector screw. I would not worry about cleaning the skimmer internals other than the riser, the skimmer works better once the internals are slimed up a bit anyway.

This may be old news to some of you, but cleaning my skimmer really boosted the output back to where it should be.

other than the brush, you don't use anything to do the cleaning right? You don't want to really CLEAN it, but brush away the gunk build up right?

Just the toothbrush, nothing fancy. The riser section is easy to clean with the skimmer running and the collection cup out (I tried this with the skimmer off at first, it just smeared stuff around). When the pump was on, I scrubbed up and down from the top of the riser section to a few inches below the water line, keeping the brush wet and getting the junk off. It was not long until all of the acrylic in the riser was looking new again. For the collection cup neck I used the toothbrush as well and scrubbed that under running tap water.

Honestly I was getting upset at this Remora, but cleaning it renewed my faith in it for a while. AquaC makes the important areas really easy to access for cleaning, good simple design.

I haven't cleaned the collection cup and neck for months and just recently did, and it made a big difference. i guess I should scrub out the injector also.

Back
Top Bottom