Goby but which one???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankTastic

Aquarium Advice Regular
This little fish has loads of character. Got him yesterday as he was on offer but forgot to ask what he was.

Attachments

• image-687920259.jpg
    image-687920259.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 116
From searching pictures on google. I think he is a Byno Goby. Can anyone confirm or tell me anything about them from experience.

Looks like your ID is spot on. Besides that I'm afraid I can't comment on this particular species' behavior.

AquaRick said:
Looks like your ID is spot on. Besides that I'm afraid I can't comment on this particular species' behavior.

Thanks Rick. Did you see my coral question? Would be good to hear your advice on that thread.

Yes, Amblygobius bynoensis it is. I haven't kept this species, but have collected it in northern Australia (at Sweers Island, Gulf of Carpentaria). It was abundant in rock pools with a silty sand bottom, as well as in adjacent shallow reef areas with silty sand bottom. I have kept a few other Amblygobius species through the years, and expect it to behave like A. phalaena and similar species. So make sure there is a good amount of sand for sifting. I'd also avoid keeping more than a pair together. In my experience with A. phalaena, the bigger one(s) will hassle the smaller ones to the point that they stop feeding properly.

Tony

Thanks again for id, I want to get another one some have a pair. Should I get any or do I have to have male, female pair? Also is there anyway of checking?

Thanks very much to all who help.

Back
Top Bottom