Going home for a week.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
So with Christmas coming I will be traveling home to spend a week with the family.

I was wondering what I should do to make sure I don't come home to a disaster.

My Gf will still be here (work as a carer doesn't leave many holidays sadly) but I don't think she could manage water changes or testing daily.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

I've left for 2 weeks, no feeding no water changes. Everything was the same when i got back. I think they would be just peachy for a week. If you're worried you can preportion your gf a bit of food for her to simply toss in ;) i asked about this too!

They'll be fine a week without food or water changes. Why would you have to test the water daily?

Scouser said:
To see if there are any spikes from unknown causes?

To check the Ph?

To check the trAtes build up?!

Your tank should be fine for a week. Or, you should stock so that they will be fine for a week.

Scouser said:

Yeah unless you have reason to worry, like tests that change every week, then i'm sure your tank will be ok! your fish will miss you

If you're gonna get someone to feed your fish for you, it's a good idea to portion out how much you usually feed them daily, that way no one can possibly overfeed.

Or just buy an automatic feeding machine, I think I saw one for as little as $15 the other day.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
If you're gonna get someone to feed your fish for you, it's a good idea to portion out how much you usually feed them daily, that way no one can possibly overfeed.

Or just buy an automatic feeding machine, I think I saw one for as little as $15 the other day.

No I'm not gonna have any feeding, Gf works way too hard to need to worry about my fish loo.

Also should I do a large water change the day before I go? To reduce any trAtes present or will it be ok?

Scouser said:
To see if there are any spikes from unknown causes?

To check the Ph?

To check the trAtes build up?!

I know, but that isn't necesary daily unless the tank is cycling. You shouldn't have to test daily if the tank has been set up and stable.

P8ntballer52 said:
Yeah I don't understand a daily test? Once a week should be more then enough

It's only recently cycled and i had a neon get sucke into the filter box so I'm just monitoring to see if ammo spikes.

I usually only test every 3 days lol.

Relax guys! Haha

A large PWC the day before you leave and they will be fine. Feed them well (don't over feed) the week before you go, then don't feed while away. Less food = less waste in the tank.

Scouser said:
It's only recently cycled and i had a neon get sucke into the filter box so I'm just monitoring to see if ammo spikes.

I usually only test every 3 days lol.

Relax guys! Haha

Sorry, didn't know! Lol

Back
Top Bottom