Going to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
Right now I have a 55g tank with gravel and live plants I want to go to sand would it be good to take all gravel out or should I leave a little bit of gravel under the sand so the plants have something to hold on to.

i was thinking of doing this also but i would be worried about a mini cycle after taking out all the gravel. I was thinking of getting clean containers and putting a bunch of gravel in the container and leaving it in the tank with the sand and slowly take gravel out to let the bacteria regenerate.

Right now I have a 55g tank with gravel and live plants I want to go to sand would it be good to take all gravel out or should I leave a little bit of gravel under the sand so the plants have something to hold on to.

Definitely take all the gravel out, if you get finer grain sand it will settle to the bottom and the little bit of gravel you left in there will be on top. If it is PFS you should have no problems with plants rooting in it. I have a low tech low light 20H with all types of plants that root just fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom