Gold Barb's picking on Peppered Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eta8635

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

In my 55g tank I have 10 zebra danios, 6 gold barbs and 3 peppered cories. Over the last few days I have noticed the cories are hiding behind the plants and not being very active. I feed them flake as well as pellets that drop but what the cories come out to feed the barbs are right there bullying them. If I get a few more cories will that help? I was thinkign of getting 3 more.

Any advise is appreciated! TIA.

Howdy! :hat:

It sounds like the barbs are being greedy for the food and are trying to chase away competitors. If you haven't already, try feeding the barbs and danios first with a flake food, and then, while they're distracted, put some pellets down for the cories.

Thanks you for the advice. I already feed the flake followed by the pellets but the barbs are all over the pellets. I just tried to do it on opposite ends of the tank and it didn't help. :(

How about sinking wafers? Maybe broken up but too large for the barbs.

I’ve had people suggest trying feeding while lights out but not sure.

How about sinking wafers? Maybe broken up but too large for the barbs.

I’ve had people suggest trying feeding while lights out but not sure.
I will give them a try although when the pellets sink the barbs just follow them down and pick away at them. I will also try the lights out idea. Do you think getting a few more might deter the barbs by leveling the playing field? Thanks!

Depends on which team they play for :) The other question would be if they still look healthy. My small catfish still look fine but get pushed around a bit.

With the spanner barbs, I'm putting in floating wafers to distract them. Then sinking pellets (two types - vegetable ones first which they all hate) and then I'm putting in wafers on the edge to sink them quickly. I'm feeding from 4 spots (2 front edges and in middle of tank). This is just working as the food is gone as I'm putting lids back on (the rams are getting more confident as part of the "pack" and swimming higher). But enough food is making it to bottom to "hide" in the java fern for slower fish.

Depends on which team they play for :) The other question would be if they still look healthy. My small catfish still look fine but get pushed around a bit.

With the spanner barbs, I'm putting in floating wafers to distract them. Then sinking pellets (two types - vegetable ones first which they all hate) and then I'm putting in wafers on the edge to sink them quickly. I'm feeding from 4 spots (2 front edges and in middle of tank). This is just working as the food is gone as I'm putting lids back on (the rams are getting more confident as part of the "pack" and swimming higher). But enough food is making it to bottom to "hide" in the java fern for slower fish.
Thank you for your comments!
Yes the cories look fine but seem skitish, and seem to come out more when the lights are off :( but they are coming out and eating. I don't just want them to survive I want them to thrive. If they are always hiding I don't think they are.

Maybe the lights out is the way to go. I did try dropping pellets down a pipe into a sunken ornament a few years back but it was pretty much a hassle.

I think it was one of the more experienced members that passed across the idea.

Attempt 1 was a bit cheap and cheerful.

74564-albums13177-picture69436.jpg

So, how's it going? Are the corys getting their food?
They seem to be, but they are more active at night so when I shut off the lights for the night I add a little food in hopes that the other fish don't see it and they get it. I still have three so they must be getting some. Thanks for checking in :)

you need to out smart the bully's feed both sides of the tank simultaneously confusing them keep feeding this way till they are used to eating that side of tank .

you need to out smart the bully's feed both sides of the tank simultaneously confusing them keep feeding this way till they are used to eating that side of tank .
I do that, the whole tank is like their neighbourhood, they don't have any one section that they prefer. Watching them now (I just fed) it seems they prefer the pellets that I drop for the cories *smh*

Thank you for your post :)

Back
Top Bottom