Gold fish tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How big of a tank would I need for about 5 adult gold fish? Also, can gold fish be mixed? For example, could a regular gold fish be mixed with a bubble eyed gold fish?

Well, that depends. What kind of goldfish. For fancies, 60 gallons minimum. Single tails, you might as well get a pond. I would try to avoid mixing fancies and single tails. But you could have different types of fancies in one tank, or different single tails, but no mixing of the two.

Aquaman23 said:
How big of a tank would I need for about 5 adult gold fish? Also, can gold fish be mixed? For example, could a regular gold fish be mixed with a bubble eyed gold fish?

The general rule of thumb is 20g for the first and 10g for each after that. This applies to fancy goldfish only. Pond goldfish like shubukins, commons and comets do better in ponds. It's best not to mix pond fish with fancy goldfish because the pond fish can outcompete the fancies for food. Bubble eyes and celestials need special care because of their poor eye site and delicate eyes. They are best kept alone. Moors also do better when kept with other moors because of their poor eye site.

Back
Top Bottom