Gold Nugget Pleco???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I'm looking to get some info on Gold Nugget Plecos. My LFS has one and I may buy it tonight. Just wanted to check what I'd be getting myself into. If I get it, it will be going into my 125 gallon tank that currently has;
5 geophagus red head tapahos &
2 threadfin acara

I'd love to hear from those who have or had experience keeping gold nugget plecos!!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plecos can go with just about any fish except discus, larger cats, and other plecos.

Your Gold-nugget Pleco will be fine with the fish you have in the tank. It will appreciate some natural driftwood in the tank to nibble on and hide under, as most plecos do. It will also clean up food detritus from the substrate, and algae from your decor and glass. However, it's more carnivorous than many plecos, and will also appreciate frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, or other meaty food 2-3 times per week. Just make sure that some of the food is getting to the bottom of the tank, as it won't eat in the water column.
Gold-nugget plecos are beautiful fish, and will only grow to 9-10", but full growth may take a couple years.
A note of caution, however: While not a fragile fish, it isn't as hardy as many plecos, so be sure to transition it slowly to a new tank. Also, while it should adapt fairly easily to your water parameters, it's preferred PH is just slightly on the acidic side, and, to my knowledge, they haven't been bred in captivity, so you'll need to closely observe it for signs of stress for the first few weeks if your water is more on the base side.

Those are gorgeous plecos and I think it would work well in your 125....

Please make sure you quarantine the fish before it adding it to those wonderful South Americans already in the tank.... no reason to risk your entire stock to potential demise.

Back
Top Bottom