Goldfish changing colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I have a Red and WHite Ryukin goldfish. A couple of days ago he chnaged colors. What used to be red is now white. Is this normal or is something wrong? I did a ruitine PWC and have generally on the ball with feeding(I miss maybe 2-3 days in a month).His behavior has not changed.

Thanks.

The_Desacrator said:
Hey guys I have a Red and WHite Ryukin goldfish. A couple of days ago he chnaged colors. What used to be red is now white. Is this normal or is something wrong? I did a ruitine PWC and have generally on the ball with feeding(I miss maybe 2-3 days in a month).His behavior has not changed.

Thanks.

They can at most anytime IMO/E. I have a fancy that went form silver to black & white and now is showing some yellow.

Not unusual for goldfish to "fade" as they age. Blacks are the first to go, and reds may fade to white in old age as well.

Some people think that goldfish will also fade with lack of light. To really bring out the color, breeders put their fish in ponds so they get real sunlight. Goldfish will also change color based on surroundings, a primitive form of camouflage ... so having a dark backgroud & substrate can bring on the colors.

Finally, red color is acquired in food <mostly from shrimp>. There are "color enhancing" food formulas that has shrimp meal & is supposed to bring out the reds. But you can also just feed the fish some shrimp (cooked & chopped up) ... they love it.

Thanks guys.

I have good lights for my plants and I feed them TetraMin PRO Tropical Crisps and worms. Should I get different flakes?

I'll try feeding them shrimp see how they like it. Is it ok for angelfish to eat shrimp? They are in the same tank.

It is fine for angelfish to eat shrimp. Tropicals and goldies do not generally do all that well in the same tank, they need different water parameters to thrive.

I feed them TetraMin PRO Tropical Crisps and worms. ...

Goldfish don't do too well on tropical flakes .... too much protein & may cause gut problems. You might want to up the veggie content by feeding peas & various other veggies as supplement. <Or get some goldfish pellets ... although you prob can't keep the goldfish from eating the tropical's food.>

Feeding is just one of the reasons goldfish & tropicals don't mix well.

Back
Top Bottom