Goldfish cloudy eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speed

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a goldfish that ive noticed, over night it seems, that its colors seem to be fading towards a pinkish color and its eyes are very cloudy, white colored like its blind. 1 eye is much worse but they are both affected. Swimming fine, maybe eating slower than normal. 3 smaller fish in 40g tank healthy for a yr now till this. Constant algae battles. Any help or advice for the fish is thankful. Only this 1 fish btw. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395247807.290931.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! Can you please post your exact parameters and water change schedule (%/# week)? Is there only a single fish that appears afflicted or do all of the fish show similar symptoms?

I am afraid I am viewing this from cell screen and will need to take a better look from my computer screen but can you please be descriptive in the eye issue? Is it simply cloudy or is it 'fuzzy' or does it appear like threads or hairs are growing? Thanks!

Water changes are roughly 20 % every 10 days roughly. No issues for nearly a yr. 3 fish in 1 tank, one badly affected, 1 other getting issues in eye also. Very cloudy white looking eyes, seems to lay at bottom a lot, not eating normally, white fuzz/cottony stuff growing & bulging from eyes. Just done a water change, cleaned all algae & added salt. Hoping for the best.

What are your pH levels? Do you test your water? Usually Cloudy eye is associated with low pH. To raise the pH just do more water changes. Like 30-50% once a week. If this is the cause than it's the easiest to treat. I would recommend testing the pH levels first. If your tap water has low pH levels than add some coral sand or limestone. If the pH is not the problem than the next thing I would suggest is a bacterial infection in that case add some Maracyn 2 to the water. If that doesn't help than idk!

Ty. Honestly i dont rest the water because no need to imo. No issues for a yr, frequent changes, ect. Do have VERY hard tap water though. Will stay up on the water changes with clean tank & some salt for a bit. Hate to lose my long time friends.

I understand completely! That sounds good! I hope that's all you'll need to do.

Ty. Honestly i dont rest the water because no need to imo. No issues for a yr, frequent changes, ect. Do have VERY hard tap water though. Will stay up on the water changes with clean tank & some salt for a bit. Hate to lose my long time friends.

You honestly should invest in a decent liquid test kit. Water quality issues are the number one cause of fish health issues, both directly and indirectly. A 20% wc every 10 days or more is inadequate on a heavily stocked goldfish tank.

I suspect your nitrates are quite high, ph is likely on the low side and it's possible that you have reached a critical point where ammonia is no longer being processed fully. This is known as 'old tank syndrome'. Without knowing the parameters, it's a bit difficult to know the exact cause of your fish's symptoms and the health status of your tank.

Acidic ph levels can cause eye clouding but high ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels can as well. Fungal issues can be directly linked to unhealthy water as can bacterial issues. My suggestion is to increase your wcs to no less than 50% every other day until tank and health conditions improve then reduce them to 50% twice a week. Additional means of treatment may be needed if there isn't marked improvement within the next couple of days. Please don't hesitate to ask to questions! :)

You honestly should invest in a decent liquid test kit. Water quality issues are the number one cause of fish health issues, both directly and indirectly. A 20% wc every 10 days or more is inadequate on a heavily stocked goldfish tank.

I suspect your nitrates are quite high, ph is likely on the low side and it's possible that you have reached a critical point where ammonia is no longer being processed fully. This is known as 'old tank syndrome'. Without knowing the parameters, it's a bit difficult to know the exact cause of your fish's symptoms and the health status of your tank.

Acidic ph levels can cause eye clouding but high ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels can as well. Fungal issues can be directly linked to unhealthy water as can bacterial issues. My suggestion is to increase your wcs to no less than 50% every other day until tank and health conditions improve then reduce them to 50% twice a week. Additional means of treatment may be needed if there isn't marked improvement within the next couple of days. Please don't hesitate to ask to questions! :)

That's what I was thinking! Glad somebody else thought so too!

Also that's not much water to change in a Goldfish tank. I usually recommend at least 50% water changes bi weekly.

It might be time to let that goldfish go to a pond or a much bigger tank. A 40g is room for 2 Fancies but never a Comet or reg Goldfish. They get too big too fast.

I hope your fish recovers.

This could also be actual eye damage. From the photo, it looks like a swelling rather than just a cloudy coating, which may suggest the fish has damaged the eyes and bacteria has infected the wounds. Would be unfortunate to damage both eyes, but as only one fish is affected, it is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom