goldfish did what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RjP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if a goldfish would eat a zebra danio? My daughters tank had bunch of danios and a comet goldfish. I say had because there are two danios missing and one that is missing its entire tail.

Is it possible? Yes, but you have a bit of a stocking issue here. Danios are tropical fish & goldfish are coldwater fish-they should not be mixed because they require different environments. You should consider rehoming the comet as soon as possible- they grow to be 12-18inches in length & should only be homed in a pond. Have you checked your filter for the missing fish? What size tank is it? How are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)? A missing tail can also be caused by fin rot which is usually caused by water quality issues. Hope this helps!

I know about the stocking issues.(daughters tank, daughter put in what she wants) Hard to explain to her they don't belong together.
Ph7.2
Ammonia. 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

I do the tank maintenance on the fish tanks its the only reason I noticed any thing was wrong.

Your water looks good! I understand your daughter-situation (i have a little girl too), however, over time, you will probably continue to have issues here because of your stocking situation. Goldfish are omnivores (they eat veggies & meats)-if the danios are small enough to fit in his mouth, snacking will continue to be a possibility. Perhaps you can consider getting another tank for him if you are not willing to rehome him? I would also offer him a piece of plain cooked broccoli daily (flower part) to give him something to pick at all day-replace with fresh floret after 24hrs (or sooner if its eaten). This may help curb his tendencies for right now its not a permanent solution, especially as he continues to get larger. Good luck!

Zebra danios are actually a good choice for a cooler water tank. It is entirely possible that if the danios fit in their mouths, they were eaten.

zebras can go a little colder and goldfish warmer to put them together but anything slightly wrong and zebras mmmmmm supper

By the way they have been in this tank together for almost a year.

72 is just about ideal for that combo IMO.

Hi there,

How big is this tank you are keeping the danios and goldfish in?

Are you positively sure that your nitrates are 5? Is the tank heavily planted? If you are testing with the API Freshwater Kit, I ask you to shake the bejesus out of the nitrate bottle #2. The powder in there sometimes doesn't get stirred into the solution if you don't shake it long enough and gives you false readings.

Back
Top Bottom