Goldfish has red spot on both of his gill covers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrgamer44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I need some help finding out what this is. I've tried searching the web, but I always get these generic results. This little Goldfish's name is "Nemo." I have had him and my other fish since November. He has this red coloration on his gill covers and it is starting to be seen on his head as little red dots. It is more visable on the left gill cover than on the right. I have checked the water for any ammonia and nitrite, all are at 0ppm where they should be. This only recently has started about a week ago. It is a 55 gallon tank with the Fluval fx5, and the water is at a tempurture of 75 degrees F. He is happy and swims normally and isn't rubbing up against any of the decorations. I have ten fish in total 4 fancies, two angel fish, and the rest are comet goldfish. Pictures are attached. Any help is appreciated!
Thank you,
David

Pictures:

spots

I am not an expert .but it looks as though it has ammonia burns. imo, you should rehome the angels they are tropical fish and goldfish are coldwater fish. imo, you are way overstocked the comets will need a lot more room than 55 gal for 1 fish . the fancies may survive in a 55 gal but the other fish need more room to grow properly just my thoughts no shade intended but you asked. could be just natural coloration but dosent look like it

What did you use to test the ammonia and nitrate? Paper strips are notoriously unreliable and could have given you a false reading. You have a lot of fish in that tank, if you do indeed have 0ppm ammonia I would expect nitrates to be very high. Not sure if that could cause the discolouration we're seeing though.

I am not an expert .but it looks as though it has ammonia burns. imo, you should rehome the angels they are tropical fish and goldfish are coldwater fish. imo, you are way overstocked the comets will need a lot more room than 55 gal for 1 fish . the fancies may survive in a 55 gal but the other fish need more room to grow properly just my thoughts no shade intended but you asked. could be just natural coloration but dosent look like it
I have tested the ammonia and its at 0ppm. I have tried rehoming the angels, in January, but they seemed pretty depressed that they didnt have their goldfish friends with them. I'll look into getting a bigger tank for the little fellas. Thank you for the help!

What did you use to test the ammonia and nitrate? Paper strips are notoriously unreliable and could have given you a false reading. You have a lot of fish in that tank, if you do indeed have 0ppm ammonia I would expect nitrates to be very high. Not sure if that could cause the discolouration we're seeing though.
I used API's Master Test Kit. I tested the ammonia and nitrie and they were all at 0ppm. I have just looked at "Nemo" today and its starting to spread on his dorsel fin and his head and part of his tail fin...

Next guess would be bacterial but I really don't know enough about that to say. Hopefully someone else will know.

What's your water change schedule like, and how much do you replace? Are you using a water conditioner?

Sent using Aquarium Advice app

Next guess would be bacterial but I really don't know enough about that to say. Hopefully someone else will know.

What's your water change schedule like, and how much do you replace? Are you using a water conditioner?

Sent using Aquarium Advice app
I change my water every Sunday. I replace about 5 gallons at a time. I have no need to use a water conditioner. We have a filter for our tap that takes out all the harmful chemicals that are found in the tap. I put in API Quick Start and Stress Zyme every water change.

I change my water every Sunday. I replace about 5 gallons at a time. I have no need to use a water conditioner. We have a filter for our tap that takes out all the harmful chemicals that are found in the tap. I put in API Quick Start and Stress Zyme every water change.

I wouldn't trust that filter unless you know exactly what it's rated for and it's been serviced/maintained according to schedule. The Quick Start and Stress Zyme are probably unnecessary in a cycled tank, and a water conditioner would be a very good idea.

You've tested ammonia and nitrite, have you tested nitrAte? For nitrate testing follow the instructions closely, the shaking of the bottle and test tube are essential to get an accurate reading. Please also test pH.

Being inexperienced with goldfish diseases I can't really recommend any particular course of action. See what information you can find on both goldfish bacterial infections and ammonia burns and compare to Nemo's condition. If it does turn out to be bacterial, API Melafix is an antibacterial that could help.

Could you attach an updated picture please?

Back
Top Bottom