Goldfish in a bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want a bowl with a fish in it. What fish can go in a 1 1/2 to 2 gallon?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I want one for my dresser.

Oh perfect! A five-ten gallon will fit on your dresser, I have a ten gallon on MY NIGHT stand! I think you need to dream a little bigger.

Sent from my iPhone

I want a bowl with a fish in it. What fish can go in a 1 1/2 to 2 gallon?

A betta or the smaller killifish are the only fish you'll find suitable for a 1.5-2 gallon bowl. Even then, you'll want to do water changes every other day at least. Daily would be better. I strongly recommend using plants to help filter the water too if you don't plan on using an actual filter.

If you're not very experienced at keeping fish, I strongly recommend you don't have your first experience be with a bowl on your dresser. The smaller the tank and the less filtration used, the harder it is to keep your fish healthy. The vast majority of fish kept this way by beginners die within 6 months due to poor water quality & disease (as opposed to their natural life span of 2-4 years for bettas). You'll have much more success with a 5-10 gallon tank with a filter and heater, as well as more choices for fish you can keep.

Yeah thats a bad idea... Goldfish seem to never stop growing, plus they are very "dirty" fish. Two bad things for a bowl... If you want a bowl just stick with a betta

what are killifish?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like they are rare to find in pet stores. That's a problem because I don't want to order it online.

Killifish are fresh water fish they look like a skinny tetra, some are very aggressive and will kill all your other fish, even the less aggressive ones will pick on your other fish... Heres one... ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406922980.907206.jpg

They are a really pretty fish do you know where I could find one? They seem hard to find in the states.

The ones in that photo arent hide to find (look in any retail pet store) and will NOT live in a bowl

My room gets into the low 60s so I'm worried about keeping a betta in a bowl.

Oh cool! What breed is it? And how much space does this fish need?

Back
Top Bottom