Goldfish in a bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No matter what fish you get any fish will be happier in an actual tank with a system for filter and a heater than in a bowl.

The lack of space and sub-par water will stress them and even if they live it wouldn't live as long like that than compared to a real tank

Like others have said even a 5gallon tank will run about the same price as a bowl. I can't stress enough to go with a tank instead.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything. Fish stores will tell you otherwise because if you aren't willing to buy a tank of course they will convince it to buy a bowl and it is fine so they get the sale. (At least in a lot of cases the chainstores care more about the sale than the actual animals)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not much space. 6 inches by 4 inches which is why I want a bowl

No fish will survive, let alone thrive, in a 60° bowl with no filtration, temp swings, and a stubborn fish keeper. Just get a filtered tank the same dimensions if space is a problem, and get a heater. It's not as expensive as you think and will save more time and money than settling on a bowl.

Ultimately it is your decision but I hope you learn from all of these responses that bowls aren't the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP: Still waiting for that list of pros for keeping a goldfish in a bowl that you read so much about. I'm very interested in learning about the fruits of your extensive research. I mean... you read all about both the pros AND the cons!? Amazing! And even though you knew so much already, you still took the time to post here on AA in an effort to further increase your knowledge base. You are truly a credit to not just fish keepers, but pet owners in general.

Now that you've come here for advice about how to keep a fish in a bowl, lets review the advice you've been given:
Nine different people have advised you that keeping a fish in a bowl is a bad idea.
Zero people have told you that keeping a fish in a bowl is a good idea.

You do the math (if you're able to). My condolences to whatever living creature you take into your care.

Last edited by a moderator:
6x4 inches ! I have drinking glasses bigger than that
How cruel are you!
There should be licences to keep pets to stop people like you torturing animals

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I will re-think it but it is my decision.

I know everybody's unhappy but would everybody please look at the tact thread in the community aquaria off topic sub forum

If this is a real post which I am thinking it isn't..... If you say you will think about it but it is your choice then why did you even bother asking for advice if you weren't even going to really think about it or use it? It isn't like this is a split decision with multiple answers that could work. It is a unanimous don't do it.

OP, a 1-2 gallon bowl would be perfect as a Walstad-style planted tank with a few shrimp. Here's a link with detailed instructions on how to make one: http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

It'd also make a good home for things like snails, daphnia, scuds, and other microorganisms that could potentially be used as food for your larger fish.

Where did you get the calculation that the bowl would be 1.5-2 gallons? Even at 10" tall (which would be terrible dimensions for proper gas exchange), that's only 1 gallon at best. Far too small for any living animal other than a live food culture like daphnia or mysis. I wouldn't even want to keep shrimp in such a small container :(

Seriously, just put a plant there and call it done. Please don't subject a fish to those conditions.

In the spirit of the tact thread, enjoy your bowl.

Have you got a link of the bowl you are thinking of buying? I might be interested in one for a mini planted bowl, so would love to see this 6"x 4" bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice assuming the app didn't crash.

Yeah but when does a "bowl" become a "tank"
I reckon you'd be lucky to get a litre of water in a bowl 6 inches wide a 4 deep

0X :spam: sense I do! But in the slim chance that this is a legit post you could put a little bit of hornwort and java moss with 1-2 red cherry shrimp in there with some pond snails and you would be slightly overstocked.

That's like saying nothing can live in a tank.

Sure it can live in a bowl...... if the bowl is big enough.

Lol most people with some sense understood what I was saying.

I'm sorry guys! My dimensions were off a bit and misinterpreted I have about a 6x6 area on my dresser width and length to put the bowl. Not the dimensions of the bowl itself! I am thinking of putting some live plants in there and trying my hand at that (since I want to make my future tank a fully planted one) why I wanted to get a goldfish or something is so I could see if I could keep that alive before I invested all this money towards fish keeping. This is not a fake thread. I knew the dangers of keeping a fish in a bowl but I wanted to see if you guys would agree or have different experiences that I could base my decision on. So I think I will get a bowl and pack it full of live plants :) thanks for the help. I thought I would stop by and tell everyone so the people who have given me helpful advice wouldn't go without hearing what my end result was! :) anyways thanks for the advice! Happy fish keeping to all of you! Best of luck :)

Back
Top Bottom