Goldfish instead of candy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
On holloween I was out w a bunch of my friends and we were hanging out when we see these kids with bags of goldfish. So we ask them were they got them and went there. Sure enough the people at the house were giving away goldfish. But isn't that animal cruelty? Even if they are gold fish their basically killing them by giving them to kids, most of whom I would think don't even have a tank or bowl for them. I think its evil, but what do you guys think?

Maybe. But I think they would have a better chance with the kids A's they would put it in a bowl in their house while half of the goldfish die the first day they are put in the tank in petsmart.

Ibrahim said:
Maybe. But I think they would have a better chance with the kids A's they would put it in a bowl in their house while half of the goldfish die the first day they are put in the tank in petsmart.

Ya but wat if they don't have a bowl?

I really wish there were laws about this. It's blatant animal cruelty. Fish are animals. Animals are not prizes like candy or $.99 toys. They're living things that need to be taken care of properly.

If I was a parent, I wouldn't be thrilled at all if my kid come home with a fish that I had not place for. Lol, I will smile though when some new member sudenly pops up here saying, "Please help! My kid was given a goldfish for Halloween and now I don't know what to do with it!!"

You people are crazy. Don't you remember what brought you into the fish world? For some kids, this is the greatest thing ever! Are you telling me you value a fishes life over a kid's happiness? Sure it's unfortunate that some of those goldfish will die, but no more than at a pet store! Get over yourselves.....

You people are crazy. Don't you remember what brought you into the fish world? For some kids, this is the greatest thing ever! Are you telling me you value a fishes life over a kid's happiness? Sure it's unfortunate that some of those goldfish will die, but no more than at a pet store! Get over yourselves.....
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I am saying that to me, teaching a child the value of life is more imprtant than them being happy about a fish in a bag for a few minutes. Thats not what brought me into the fish world and I hope to indroduce my kids to better fish keeping practices than that. And yes, I am definitely saying that I personally care more about the fish's life than about a kid being happy for 20 seconds because of a fish in a bag. My opinion.

absolutangel04 said:
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I am saying that to me, teaching a child the value of life is more imprtant than them being happy about a fish in a bag for a few minutes. Thats not what brought me into the fish world and I hope to indroduce my kids to better fish keeping practices than that. And yes, I am definitely saying that I personally care more about the fish's life than about a kid being happy for 20 seconds because of a fish in a bag. My opinion.

+1
I am so sick of people teaching their kids that animals are disposable. I see it happen to all kinds of animals, from fish to dogs. Animals have feelings. The more research is done, the more they are finding that animals share many emotions that we used to only ascribe to humans. When people are kids, is the time they should learn compassion and empathy for others, including animals. If more people taught their kids those things, the world would have a lot less suffering. Just my 2 cents.

Are you telling me you value a fishes life over a kid's happiness?

Yes. That is exactly what I'm telling you. Any experienced hobbyist would value the safety and well-being of their animals more than a few moments of entertaining a kid.

They were giving fish away in the hope that kids would see that fish, become excited and then convince their patents to keep it and by keeping it TEACH them how to care for it. Y'all act like you've never had a fish die or that you were born as knowledgable as you are.
No one, absolutely no one on this forum acts like they were born with all of the knowledge we have now. Knowledge is acquired through research. If you're not willing to do the proper research and educate yourself on how to keep an animal, then you have no business keeping that animal and should give it to someone who can. Teaching kids how to care for fish isn't giving them away in bags without anything other than a "Happy Halloween". Teaching kids how to care for fish is inviting them to a good pet store to look at how exciting the hobby can be and giving them the proper information on how to set up and cycle the environment first, then go into the fish. The people giving those fish away as if they were Tootsie Rolls is sickening because it teaches kids that fish are disposable items that can just be tossed in a bowl until they die and are replaced. That's not what this hobby is about. This hobby shouldn't be promoted by goldfish as prizes, wasting away in their own ammonia for some few days of a 5 year old's entertainment. This hobby should be promoted by proper education, inspiration, and communication.

How would you feel if someone was giving away kittens or puppies as halloween gifts? How is that any different? They both have similar lifespans, actually goldfish live several times longer.

I have never, yet, owned a fish. But I was a kid once who made many mistakes with my pets because my parents didn't teach me how to properly care for them. I taught myself as I grew up. But I wish someone had taught me as a child, that my momentary fascination with an animal had consequences for that animal. And sometimes, I shouldn't get what I want, if I can't properly care for it. That's why, now, I educate myself before taking on a responsibility.

We are not talking about the complicated life cycle, like that of a trout, and therefore the goldfish is a great species to introduce people into fish keeping.

By dumping them into bags and passing them out with candy? That introduces people into a very dark, ignorant side of fishkeeping, and encourages kids to jump in and get fish before making any sort of arrangement or planning or research beforehand. I personally think goldfish are horrible ways to introduce people into the hobby; there are so many hardier, less-messy fish out there like livebearers and danios. Goldfish are messy and require a lot more space than people initially realize.

I completely agree that people, adults or kids, that don't know how to properly care for a fish should not have them, unfortunately that's exactly what happens at your good pet store. They do not care about who buys the fish, only the fish has been bought. I can guarantee that at least a few of those kids that reviewed a goldfish were so completely intrigued by that fish that they, much like us, will spend alot of there lives tease researching and learning the proper ways of fish keeping and that to me is ok. You can't tell me that more fish died because someone gave them than they would have in a pet store.

How would you feel if someone was giving away kittens or puppies as halloween gifts? How is that any different? They both have similar lifespans, actually goldfish live several times longer.

I just wanted to revisit this question. If you condone people giving out pets for halloween then it'd be okay to give out kittens and puppies as well, right?

Sorry for the many posts but my phone can't keep up! I did not mean to offend anyone. All I am saying is that it is no different than a child in a store crying and begging for a fish from their parents with no knowledge of fish keeping! To me it is better to have a few kids given a fish who truly are fascinated and fortunately have parents who understand the responsibility and are willing to teach and learn themselves than to have a fish forced upon them by a whining child. At least in this circumstance, the parents really had no choice, and hopefully they are mature enough to understand what they were given and teach their child right.

Sorry for the many posts but my phone can't keep up! I did not mean to offend anyone. All I am saying is that it is no different than a child in a store crying and begging for a fish from their parents with no knowledge of fish keeping! To me it is better to have a few kids given a fish who truly are fascinated and fortunately have parents who understand the responsibility and are willing to teach and learn themselves than to have a fish forced upon them by a whining child. At least in this circumstance, the parents really had no choice, and hopefully they are mature enough to understand what they were given and teach their child right.
Ok. I can understand that. I do not agree with you, but I understand what you are saying and I appreciate you saying you weren't trying to offend people.

After spending many years studying zoology, marine biology, I have learned that most people will never understand as much as most of on here and as a zoologist I can say that most that think they understand what it takes to raise a fish, or any other "wild animal" does not. People want to have an abnormal love and care for their fish but always forget that at some point, they were taken out of their natural habitat, to be raised by people like us who know better than evolution and nature. So in a way, we are all wrong. IMO, raising and caring fish is a great thing, it does not matter how you came to care for them only that you did. If it takes someone giving away a fish for Halloween, to continue the education( as little as it might be) of the fish we love, well to me that's a great thing.

After spending many years studying zoology, marine biology, I have learned that most people will never understand as much as most of on here and as a zoologist I can say that most that think they understand what it takes to raise a fish, or any other "wild animal" does not. People want to have an abnormal love and care for their fish but always forget that at some point, they were taken out of their natural habitat, to be raised by people like us who know better than evolution and nature. So in a way, we are all wrong. IMO, raising and caring fish is a great thing, it does not matter how you came to care for them only that you did. If it takes someone giving away a fish for Halloween, to continue the education( as little as it might be) of the fish we love, well to me that's a great thing.
I understand that, but I do not agree. I personally would rather use other ways of educating kids about fish care. I think it does matter how the interest came about because it teaches respect. I am not saying that kids would not learn that in a different way or they cannot learn it from this method of giving fish instead of candy. I just personally think that I would rather have my kids learn to respect animals (including fish) in a different way than to be given one in a bag at Halloween.
As a parent, I would be very unhappy if my child came home with a free fish instead of candy.
Again, just my opinion. Certainly not an absolute nor is it necessarily right for everybody. :)

Unfortunately, we cannot dictate how each kid is educated in the art of fish keeping. That's why there's great people like us on a forum like this to help them along :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom