Goldfish Poo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has gotten way off topic.
Have you come to a conclusion?
Hows your fish?
Have you fed peas?

Foskett96 said:
My lfs are actually very good. And we know the owner. He has had expieeence with fish for over 20 years and the same with most of his employes. The always give me good information and If I have a problem I do what they say and it turns out alright. So right now I don't no.

I know the owner of my local fish store as well. Unfortunately, he is set in his ways and unwilling to adapt to different ways if doing things. Some advice is given just because "its always been done that way". You could survive on meal replacement shakes, but I'm sure you like to eat a variety of foods as well. You don't have to feed your fish fresh veggies, but it is a healthy option. You could always give it a try :)

Is there any way that this could pass naturally. And can it kill the fish?

Fish can swallow air when they come up to eat floating food. It happens all the time actually and in some fancy goldfish it can make them float the wrong way. People suggest sinking pellets for this reason....Although in all my years keeping them I've never had a problem with floating pellets.

Ugh...and goldfish are coldwater fish is a big fat lie. It's a myth. Although arguably some very very rare/fancy varieties would benefit from being kept a little on the cold side.

Goldfish with tropicals - right or wrong? | Blog | Practical Fishkeeping

So what do I do about the air bubbles in my goldfish poo. I feed them new life spectrum all purpose formula pellets. Can it pass naturally and can it harm the fish.

The NLS is prob OK - it is not specifically a goldfish food, but the nutritional content is fairly close to the goldfish formula. <IE it does not have super high protein content like some tropical food.> It is a bit lower in fiber (less veggies) cf my NLS goldfish pellets.

If the fish is acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't stress too much. I still think supplemental fresh veggies is a good idea for goldfish, regardless of how good your dry staples food is.

Ok so I fed my goldfish some blanched unshelled peas and they seemed to like it more than my tropical fish how just left it alone. How many peas should I feed per fish. And how long will it take to pass re gas that is in the fishes stomach.

Is the fish still excreting bubbles? How often/much do you feed? I'd also try some fresh veggies a couple of time a week as Jsoong suggested.

I'm not familiar with goldfish, my fish are small so they don't even finish a half a pea overnight but as long as they nibble on it a bit it's enough. I'd put one pea in there, split it into pieces, and what they don't finish take it out b/c it could foul up the water and turn into fungus if left in there uneaten too long.

I'm not sure how long it'll take exactly. Peas tend to help with bloat and constipation issues due to overfeeding, not sure about the bubbles. If the fish still has the bubble issue then maybe you should look into a different type of food and feed less often. One day per week of fasting the fish is a good idea too.

So how many times should I feed them peas and what other Vegas can I feed em.

Goldfish are omnivores (like we are) and benefit from veggies in their diet. I actually feed mine veggies every day. Peas are by far their favorite but most cooked, plain veggies (zucchini, spinach, broccoli, corn, etc) will do. I also feed a small amount of fruits & cooked shrimp occasiionally too. They appreciate the variety just as we do!!!

Back
Top Bottom