goldfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all I was just wondering if any goldfish species can be kept in a 15 gallon tall tank? This was just something that I thought of and definitely.wouldn't be happening for a long time, but I was wondering if this is possible and I know they are poop machines which means lots of ammonia. It would be the only thong in there besides a snail to help with algae. What are some thoughts?

Rule of thumb is 20g for one goldfish.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I suppose if you're diligent with water changes and don't over feed you'd be ok?

It's 20g for one FANCY goldfish. Others like Koi or Common goldfish need larger tanks. MUCH larger. Like a pond.

If it was a 15 long it might be OK, but since it's tall it's really not a good idea. Surface area and swimming space are always a consideration when stocking a tank.

Alright thanks for the input, I didn't think it'd work but I thought I'd get other opinions :)

You could probably get away with one fancy goldfish but 20 gallons is the recommended minimum

Try a lionhead

Alright I'll have to check out those then, thanks for the suggestion!

Honestly, skip any goldfish in a 15g. There are no 'small' or dwarf breeds of goldfish,-this includes lionheads, lionchus or ranchus. As full grown adult, even a single fancy would be a bit cramped in a 20g. Understock and invest in the largest tank feasible if you want to keep any goldfish.

+1, jlk's right. People underestimate the potential growth of any juvenile goldfish if given optimal conditions.
If you really want goldies indoors my advice for a beautiful setup would be a 40gal. breeder with 3 fancys of your choice.:)

Alright thanks, I wasn't even sure that this would happen, that tank currently has fish in it anyway. But thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom