Goldfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have room for about one more goldfish? And i was thinking either a ranchu or pearlscale? Anyone have any experience with any one of these?

55g for now and 5 fancies all no bigger than 3". And a small golden nugget pleco.

I wouldn't add anything. As you know goldfish have very large bioloads and the general idea is to have 20 gallons for the first, and ten for each additional Goldie. So that's 4 gold fish in a 55 gallon although I think 5 would be okay except that you have a pleco in it also, which have tremendous bioloads too. Even though your fish may be small now they will grow quickly and if you have anything else in the tank it might be tough to keep up with the maintenance and nitrate buildup.

I wouldn't add anything. As you know goldfish have very large bioloads and the general idea is to have 20 gallons for the first, and ten for each additional Goldie. So that's 4 gold fish in a 55 gallon although I think 5 would be okay except that you have a pleco in it also, which have tremendous bioloads too. Even though your fish may be small now they will grow quickly and if you have anything else in the tank it might be tough to keep up with the maintenance and nitrate buildup.

I have two 75 gallon biowheel filters. Would that still not b enough filtration? Im getting an empty 55 gallon in about 3 months. Could i get one then transfer two or three to the empty 55? Or should i probably wait ?

I have two 75 gallon biowheel filters. Would that still not b enough filtration? Im getting an empty 55 gallon in about 3 months. Could i get one then transfer two or three to the empty 55? Or should i probably wait ?

Honestly, you should wait. It's not the lack of filtration here but simply the lack of space and sufficient water.

Also, besides not adding, I don't think the gold nugget is compatible with the old fish, as plecos are tropical and Goldie's Are coldwater

Back
Top Bottom