Goldfish rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samlitcher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a 55 gallon goldfish aquarium. It has been in a fishless cycle since Jan 9th. I'm right in the middle of it with all levels showing (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). I have agreed to take in a unwanted Oranda (Med) goldfish and four weather loaches. The current owner is downsizing. They have told me the weather loaches are about 10 inches! SO, I have a few questions: I pick them next sunday.

1. When should I start lowering my temperature and ammonia levels to continue the cycle but keep it safe for the new fish?
2. What's the best way to transport them? (Its about a 2 hour trip to my house from theirs)
3. Will the weather loaches be fine in a 55 gallon? (All the research I've done says yes, just wanted to see if anyone with them agrees)Owner says they have been great together.:fish1:

Hi i personally would wait for the cycle to complete before getting the fish. As for transporting the fish, i use a polybox like you see at your local fish shop {they may even lend you one?}Also they may give you some big fish bags to use for the fish? Then double bag the fish and place in the polybox making sure they cannot roll around - is use fish bags filled with air to fill in the gaps between the bags if needed. Then once in the box resist opening it untill you get home. They should be fine for up to 12 hours like this. Good luck(y)

You can also just fill a large insulated cooler halfway with treated water and put them in there for the trip. When I collect native fish I transport them this way. I wouldn't try bagging them if they are large, big fish don't do well in shipping bags.

Hi good point jetajockey(y) Although i have used a bag that will fill a poly box or cooler so that its easier to put the fish into the tank rather than catching them again.:)

I agree. With small fish it can be a pain, but I just pull the drain plug on the cooler and let it drain out, I put a net over it to catch any that might go down the drain, and then once the water level is really low it only takes a few swipes of the net.

Either way works, though. I wouldn't bother with an aerator if the trip is only a few hours, I think the sloshing around in the car will provide plenty of aeration.

Back
Top Bottom