Goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTIV02

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone.

I just moved some tropical fish to my new 60 gallon aquarium and now my 29 gallon tank is empty. My mom wants to turn it into a goldfish tank. I'm trying to figure out how to properly set one up.

The tank is about 2 yrs old. I have had fish in it for as long as I've had the tank. I know I could throw some fish I. There and call it a day but I want them to live a while.

The tank has decor, a heater, and a filter that hangs in the side if the tank. Could you guys help me by giving me step by step tips to clean the old tank and but goldfish in.

Here is the catch: my mom is having a Christmas party later this week. On Saturday to be exact. And this is Monday, I know that's not a lot of time but is there a way together fish in it by then?

Thanks in advance :)

Is the tank presently cycled?

The heater isnt necessary unless you have some extreme temp fluctuations. You likely need to add an additional filter depending on what you presently have. Do you know what it is? What type of substrate do you have? Do you want to keep it?

Honestly, you dont need to do much if its cycled and your pretty much keeping everything the same. No cleaning other than a big water change/good gravel vac (if your keeping it). If theres any sharp/pointed/jagged decor (incl plastic plants), I recommend removing it as well as anything a fish can get caught in, under or behind because goldies will get stuck.

A 29g is really only suitable for 1-2 fancy (double tail) goldfish and keep in mind they will likely need an upgrade in the future. Heres some more info on goldies and their care- please ask if you have any questions!! :)

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

The filter is an Aqua-tech for 20-40/30-60 gallon tank. I am gonna take out most of the plants and the bigger decor. That way they'll be comfortable.

Thanks for the link. Really helped.

Thanks! Ok, the aquatech 20-40's only run 160gph which may be fine for a tropical tank but not for messy goldies. You want something that runs 300-400 gph which you can accomplish by adding another decent sized hob filter (200+gph) to this one. I have no personal experience with the aqua techs but the reviews for these made-for-walmart filters are pretty awful so just be aware of this. Dont hesitate to ask if you have more questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom