Goldfish that doesn't eat pellets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griffinej5

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone!
I just got a second goldfish. My first gold eats mostly pellet food (I'm trying to train it, and pellets really work better, in addition to the fact that the flakes seemed to be causing bloating issues). Anyway, I got a new one on Friday. The first few days, it wouldn't eat. Finally today, I realized I had flakes, and I tried that- lo and behold, the fish has eaten. After I got it eating the flakes, I tried the pellets again. It takes them in its mouth, but spits them back out.
I'd prefer they primarily eat the pellets, since they seem to create less waste. It's easier that way also to calculate exactly how much food at a maximum will be made available to each fish.
Is there a way to get the fish to eat the pellets?

Stop giving him flakes. When he gets hungry he will eat it. You can't put ice cream and broccoli in front of a kid and tell them to eat the broccoli, they will eat what they want.

I disagree. It is more important that they get proper nutrition. In almost all cases they will take what is offered, especially with goldfish. Just because they like a certain food a little more, doesn't mean it is better for their health.

Back
Top Bottom