Goldfish with Burst Stomach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tested the ammonia levels this morning and things were looking good. Not quite 0, but not far off. I just used a strip to test everything else and it all fell in line with where it was last time. For the most part it seems to be fairly decent water.

His breathing hasn't changed and is still incredibly fast. He's probably breathing about 10 times the rate of the other guy and has been like this for well over a week. He wasn't overly active by any means before, but he'd move around every couple hours prior to today.

I guess we will see how he's looking in the morning.

I've read through this tread and you aren't I be doing very well. I hope your goldfish gets better! I will watch for updates.

Thanks! Keep us posted. I know he has a bad infection but I'm crossing my fingers for him!! Also don't forget an aquatic can offer you better options for treatment than what's available over the counter. Do you have aq salt? I don't want you to do anything yet but if he's in same state tomorrow, I think we should try increasing the salinity a bit & see if this helps at all.

I do believe we are at the end of the road with this guy. He was in the same spot this morning when I got up and I didn't feel like bothering him with more of the Bio-Bandage, so I just let him be.

I swung by the store to pick up some aquarium salt on my way home and upon walking in the door found him in the same spot but on his side. He's still breathing at his usual fast pace, but I would have to guess we are at the point of no return. Any suggestions? Should I even bother with the salt?

Oh no....I am so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping he would pull through this.

Where you want to go from here is up to you. You can continue trying to treat him, you can let things be and let nature continue on her course or you can consider euthanasia if you feel he suffering unduly. I wish I had an easy answer for you. :(

Thanks, though it is the way life goes. I won't worry about the salt. I'll perform a water change tomorrow after work and if he is still around tomorrow I'll treat the water again. My guess is that if he is still around in the morning he won't be around in the evening.

I'm guessing that my inaccurate research in the beginning suggesting it was a digestion issue caused things to get to the point where he had no desire to eat. Factor in the time it took me to get the Medigold and I think we were already too far into things.

Provided he doesn't make it through this I will focus on making sure my water is clean and ready for another guest and will find my other friend a new companion.

I greatly appreciate all of the help that you have given me as well as everyone else that has offered advice or suggestions. It is proof that the internet isn't solely used to bash others anonymously. If anything changes with my friend I will certainly post the news, but I think it is safe to assume I will be at the pet store this weekend looking for a new family member as long as the water conditions check out.

Many thanks again. I may not have been able to save my fish, but on the positive side all of your help has educated me on keeping proper water conditions. I'm sure I'll be posting in the future, but hopefully it will be under a different category...

Indeed, though in the end it is only money. I'm certainly not made of the stuff, but considering it seems to have been due to my neglect, I don't feel that I have any right to balk at spending a bit on him and the other guy in the tank.

He finally called it quits on Friday. I'm giving the tank a week to clean up and make sure things are in the clear before I find a new friend to keep this other guy company. Though I'm disappointed that I was most likely the cause of an early death, the aquarium is in much better shape now and I have the tools to keep an eye on water conditions. At least a little bit of good came from the whole ordeal.

So sorry :( :bawl:

:flowers: It is hard to know everything. There is a learning curve, I certainly understand. Goldfish are a chore to keep. I love them, they are sooo beautiful but I don't keep them inside anymore, I just have some in my pond. I'll be building them a real pond this spring at least a 500G.

Back
Top Bottom