Goldfish with enlarged eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twohuskies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a brown oranda that has a strange problem with his eye. It is NOT protruding like popeye; it has just enlarged around the entire perimeter. It's hard to describe, but when you look at the fish straight on, one eye is normal and the other is twice as big around. I've seen popeye, and this does NOT look like that; iow, it is not "popping" out of the socket. It's just gotten twice as big around.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so, how do I treat it?

Thanks!

First I would recommend a large water change. Most eye conditions can be solved by pristine water conditions. What size tank do you have him in and what other tank mates? Also what is your water change schedule?

I don't quite understand the description .... Is the eye flat against the head but getting twice as big sideways? Or maybe you have an Oranda with telescope eyes (like a moor) and the whole eye is getting bigger? <You would only be able to see both eyes looking at the fish head-on if it is a telescope eyed fish.>

If it is the former - is the scale around the eye losing color? I had a calico that did that and it made the eye looked twice as big .... but if you look carefully, you'd see that the eye was the same size, but you can see right through the transparent scale to the inside of the skull & see the whole globe.

If a telescope eyed goldfish has an enlarging eye, then it is abnormal .... can be pop-eye, ascitis/edema (early dropsy) or a tumor. Anne's suggestion is good though. If in doubt, always do a big water change. Fresh clean water does wonders.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I immediately went into water-change mode after posting my question. In the time that transpired between my question and the start of the water change, the eye had started to swell. :( I'm afraid I'm dealing with popeye...:(:(:(

My fish is an oranda - no telescoping eyes. And at the time I posted my question, the eye was still flat, but the circumferance around the eye had doubled in size. But, it started to swell and looks like the early stages of popeye.

The tank is a 65 gallon and all are goldfish. There is also a Chinese Algae Eater in the tank.

So, I did a 50% water change and added an additional HOB filter to the tank to help keep the water crystal clear. I usually do water changes every 2-3 weeks. It's only been about 2 weeks since my last water change. I also added MelaFix.

I guess I'll try the MelaFix for a few days to see if there is improvement. If not, should I start treatment with Maracyn? I'd like to add some salt, but don't think I can with the CAE, correct?

You can probably add a little bit of salt ..... the CAE should be OK with something like 0.05%. But then that amount of salt won't do much for pop-eye.

If you want to treat the goldy with salt, you are best to do so in a QT or a tub & give it a salt bath by itself. However, I am not sure if salt is really useful, unless you think there is an external parasite infection that started the pop-eye.

Generally, popeye is an internal infection and need treatment systemically. I would treat with antibiotics food rather than antibiotics in the water, as it is more effective. If you must resort to adding antibiotics to the water, I would suggest doing so in a QT tank .... you save money on not having to dose a 65 gal tank, and there is no chance that it will kill your filter bacteria.

Also, if the fish is big enough, try to look in the eye & see if there are flakes/cloudy bits. People have reported seeing flukes in the eye. In that case, You'd need to treat with Plazi.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. After the WC and Melafix, I decided to just dose the tank with Kanaplex last night. I'm happy to report today that Brownie's eye is back to normal!!! If I hadn't seen the enormous eye, I wouldn't guess that he'd ever had a problem!!!

Since Kanaplex is dosed every two days, I'm going to do another WC tomorrow and redose the Kanaplex. After that, I think everything will be back to normal and I'll just stay on top of more frequent water changes...

Thanks again from Brownie AND me!

Back
Top Bottom