Goldfish with other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S_Hurley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. Quick question, I was wondering if I could put goldfish with my already established ten gallon tank with other freshwater fish. My younger sibling won these at a fair and they are actually very nice, like small coy almost. I know that they create more ammonia or something but I was wondering if I could put them in because we dont have a viable holding tank for them.

That is a very small tank for a goldfish to be in. Also, u shouldn't mix tropical fish and cold water fish(like goldfish )

Honestly, this is not an reasonable option. Fair fish are common goldfish. Commons realistically do not belong in home aquaria unless you have a huge tank because they can grow 12-18in and really are only suitable to ponds. 10g is too small for even one goldfish, let alone multiple goldfish plus plus other fish. A short term option would be to pickup 30-40g plastic storage bin from walmart/chainstore for $10 and place them in this with a filter & some aeration until you can figure out what to do in respect to housing them/rehoming them. It wont be cycled and you will need to test the water daily and do water changes as needed to keep them healthy. Please ask if you have any questions!

A friend won a goldfish at a fair, he sat in a Tupperware bowl for 6 days until I insisted on taking him. I put him in my 10g with guppies and cory cats for a few days. I put him on Craigslist for re-homing and a family with large tanks 2 fancy golds and 2 baby koi adopted him. He was fine in the tank with the other fish for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom