Goldfish Zen . Wanting utopia for them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great!! Dont be surprised if you see a spike in amm or nitrite tommorrow- it may take a day or two for your bacteria to adjust up to the increase in ammonia but they will recover quickly. :)

Tonights readings 15 minuets short of 24 hours.
Ammonia 0.25 ppm
Nitrite 1.0 ppm
Nitrate 10 ppm
High Range ph 8.2
:( is it ok to dose back up to 3 ppm? 4? (LOL its the never ending cycle!)

Yep! Numbers are as expected. We just have keep the nitrites from hitting crazy levels again. Keep up the good work! :)

lol! Your tank is doing great- dont stress! This is a huge improvement over dosing to 4 & getting insane nitrite levels! Your tank is eating them up well now & we have almost have them to where they need to be! The end is in sight! :)

Well one of my worst fears has happen. Lost power this morning. Supposed to be back up by noon. Will four hours or so mess up my cycling tank? Or worse yet my tank with my fish babies in it? I had just changed their water 50% Monday night

Four hours is no big deal! I actually have been without power for days at time (and now have a little generator because this seems to happen all the time!). You may just want to test your cycling tank tank a bit later on tonight because the 4hrs without power is probably going to cause a bit of a lag in your conversion. Hopefully, it will be back on soon!!!

LOng day! Power was out about four hours, Thank God not longer. Its amazing how quiet everything is when that happens.
Tonights readings
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
High Ph 8.2

Looking Good :)
Dosed back up to three!

I'm glad the power is back on! And your numbers look great!!! You should see zeroes again tomorrow, too! If so, time to up the amm dose again. You are in the home stretch! :) :)

Ok, same drill- expect to see a slight spike in ammonia and/or nitrite tommorrow with the increased amm dose. Your bb will recover in a day or two. A few more days of dosing & you should be done! :) :) :)

Well just tested my water.
I was surprised to see zeros again tonight. I was expecting some nitrites at least. I am not complaining though! I am dosing back up to 4 ppm now!

Thanks jlk! Couldn't have gotten here without your help and support! SO! QUESTION.......How many days of testing zero before We can consider the tank officially cycled? I think I have read three somewhere. Is this correct?

Yep! 3-4 days is a safe number. Ok, I honestly forget if you had the temp turned up. If so, what is it on right now? If theres no heater, forget I asked! :)

Thanks! Ok, drop it 2-3 degrees tonight & work on each night dropping it another 2-3 degrees over the next few days until you are able to get it down to the 72-74 range. This will allow your bacteria to adjust gradually & hopefully maintain their momentum without a glitch. :)

Despite being personally hit by the plague I was able to muster up the energy to water test again last night.
I had turned down the heat from 84 to 80
Ammonia and Nitrite were at zero again.
I dropped the heater down to 74 and dosed up ammonia to 4 ppm
If when I test tonight I get zeros again this will be day three. I plan on dropping the heater down to 72 and adding ammonia back up to 4.

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon!! I am glad your bacteria are adjusting to the heat change without a glitch! Keep us posted! :)

Back
Top Bottom