Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Precious_Scarface

Aquarium Advice Activist
My big goldie keeps chasin my smaller one idk why theyre about the same size but a lil bigger

To be honest with you I wouldn't even know where to start. I can imagine why your gold fish would Chase eachother as they are not agressive fish. But you might want to keep an eye out you might have some babies in the near future

+1
It can be normal male behavior or it can be breeding behavior. If you have a male & female, the male can be overly aggressive & can hurt or even kill the female in his amorous attempts. If the bullied fish is being injured or overly stressed, I would recommend seperating them.

Doesnt look agressive but how do you tell the difference between male and female it mostly happens when theyre done eatin

Males are the easiest to id. Their bodies are more streamline & less round then females who have a lopsided, round appearance when viewed from above. Males will also develop breeding tuberucles (stars) on their gill plates & pectoral fins-they look like tiny white dots or bubbles. The vents of femlaes will be convex while the males are concave. If you are only seeing this behavior occsionally (and no one is being injured), i wouldnt worry too much. :)

Back
Top Bottom