goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Novice 12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I won a goldfish from the carnival about a month ago and i dont know what kind it is. Im pretty sure its full grown and he/she is about 1 1/2 inches long. Is there any specific kinds of goldfish? And how do i tell if its a male or a female?

Can you post a picture? It's most likely a common or comet. They can exceed 12 inches long in the first few years of life if kept healthy. They do better in ponds.

Your average carnival goldfish is a common goldfish (the type in feeder tanks). Your goldfish is not full f=grown and can reach up to a foot long. These are best kept in ponds. Pictures would be great. What size tank?

Its a common & its a baby. They grow well over 12inches (up to 18in) with adequate water. You wont be able to sex it until its sexually mature (in 2-3years) and even then its difficult at best. He really should be in a happy pond. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Agree that it is likely a common or possibly a comet -- and both get a foot + in length if cared for properly.

The easiest way to tell them apart is that a comet has a deeply forked tail with pointed ends. A common has much less of a fork and the ends of the tail are rounded.

My current avatar pick is a common, if that helps.

Best!

Thanks i would have it in a pond but i live in north dakota where the pond would freeze over the winter

Your average carnival goldfish is a common goldfish (the type in feeder tanks). Your goldfish is not full f=grown and can reach up to a foot long. These are best kept in ponds. Pictures would be great. What size tank?
Its only a 5 gallon because that is what i could afford at the time. I would like to have a pond but i live in North Dakota where a pond would freeze over the winter

Back
Top Bottom