goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregg176

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 6 almost 7 year old , in a 30 gall. tank with 3 other goldfish . the fish have delvoped Redding around the upper fin and lower ones no tail rot no other signs its eating pooping swimming whats wrong ph ok ammonia ok phos. ok HELP any one!!!

So, let me get this straight. You have six goldfish that are seven years old each? As well as some others? Okay, well as you know, the older fish get, the weaker their immune systems get. Do just the older fish have the redness on their fins?

Fin redness can most times be a sign of fungus. I would use a remedy called pimafix, which makes use of pimenta racemosa - or extract from West Indian bay trees. It's a 7-day anti-fungal treatment, where you add a little more to the water each day. I have cured 3 fish with this remedy, and highly reccomend it.

If you do choose to use pimafix however, be sure to remove any carbon from your filter.

This could be a simple case of ammonia burn.
9 goldfish in 30gallons isnt enough for many reasons.

Space for the fish, a goldfish needs alot of space, people say 30g for the first goldfish and then another 10g every other after.

Your internal filter will be inadequate, 9 goldsish will be produceing too much waste for the filter to break down the ammonia.

30gallons of water will foul quickly, the amount of time it would take 9 goldfish to foul 30g of water would be easier counted in hours rather than days.

The best thing to do would be to re home some or get a larger tank.

If you wont rehome any, buy an external filter to handle their bioload and free up some space in the tank.

no I have 4 goldfish which are 6 or 7 years old the one I have a problem is I am saying is 6/7 years old ok my quick typing

Can you please post your exact parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What your testing with (liquid or strips)? Your water change schedule (%/# wk)? Type of goldfish? A pic will help as well to see what is going on but red streaking and veining has nothing to do with fungus. Goldfish do not handle useless products such as melafix well and will create even more issues than presently exist.

Back
Top Bottom