goldfishh Hellp!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herbz12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
MY three small goldfish just like to hide in the corner behind a plant, but they have a whole tank to swimm in. its like they are scared to go any where else what are your thoughts??

Dear herbz12,

A bit more information would help. (size of tank, filtration, whether plant is plastic, silk or real, how long tank has been cycled and how long behavior has been going on...) Goldfish do have personalities and some are shyer than others but usually not all three altogether. Are they new to the tank? Sometimes it does take a while for them to be accustomed to a new aquascape or tank...
Chris

i had them in a 75 gallon with a footlong bullhead catfish he bulled them into the corner so i moved them into a 10 gallon with a tetra whisper canister filter air pump and heater everythings there its been cyled for about 3 weeks theres a round goby and two mini algae eaters in there the plant is plastic i belive

herbz12 said:
i had them in a 75 gallon with a footlong bullhead catfish he bulled them into the corner so i moved them into a 10 gallon with a tetra whisper canister filter air pump and heater everythings there its been cyled for about 3 weeks theres a round goby and two mini algae eaters in there the plant is plastic i belive

Neither tank seems to be appropriate for them. The 75 because they are being bullied and the 10 because it's way to small. Most likely you'll have to rehome them or the catfish, or get another tank.

What kind of goldfish are they?

Dear herbz12,
Goldfish need 20 gallons for the first fish and then 10 gallons more for each additional fish=40 gallon plus 400 gallons/hour filtration. Plus unless you also moved some filter media with beneficial bacteria 3 weeks ago, your tank is not cycled so the ammonia may be high, or nitrates or nitrate high. There is an excellent link on AA for how to cycle with fish please check it out for the fishes' sake. With the tank so new they could be bottom sitting behind the plant due to the ammonia, etc.

Also the round goby is an invasive, aggressive fish which grows pretty large and that may eat the smaller fish so...the round goby is not a good tankmate for goldfish. They may be hiding from round goby too.

I agree that you need to get a larger tank for the goldies. In a pinch with a good filter--say an ac 100--you could use a rubbermaid 40-50 gallon bin until you get a new tank. Otherwise rehoming could be best.
Chris

they round head is only like 3 inches and there feeder fish like 2 inches and they hang around the goby there not scared of it the gold fish are pretty small

Yes but goldfish can grow fast, I would seriously consider gettin them at least a 40 gallon tank :)

Back
Top Bottom