Good algea or bad? (if algea at all??)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have weird algae growing in my 55gallon aquarium, currently in the beginning stages of cycling, and it doesn't look good. It may not even be algae? It's white colored, and has grown onto the side of the glass in one spot, on the filter intake, in the leaves of my fake plants and onto the rock decor. I am wondering if anyone can identify it and can tell me whether it is good or bad?

It's pretty obvious in some of the pictures, hope they're good enough for it to be identified. Thanks.

Attachments

• image-1294152777.jpg
    image-1294152777.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3881743188.jpg
    image-3881743188.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image-306964697.jpg
    image-306964697.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1689578154.jpg
    image-1689578154.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 61
It appears to be a fungus. I don't believe it's harmful. This fungus can be caused by overfeeding. I would cut down the food portions a little bit.

bud29 said:
It appears to be a fungus. I don't believe it's harmful. This fungus can be caused by overfeeding. I would cut down the food portions a little bit.

This is in my aquarium that is currently in the beginning stages of a fishless cycle. All I have done is dosed ammonia twice up to 4ppm. Could this be the cause of it? How do I get rid of it? When the tank is cycled, will a pleco and some snails take care of it?

Hi, ammonia is probably the cause of it. Do you have the light on in the tank? If so, leave it off. To remove the fungus, I would scoop out a little bit of tank water and rinse off the intake tube and other objects that have fungus on them in that tank water. Needless to say, that tank water does not go back in the tank.

Any natural driftwood in there? I recently had something similar (or the early stages of at least) on some mopani wood.

I have driftwood in my other tank that I used one of the filter pads to introduce bacteria into the new one. Yet, the tank with the driftwood has no such fuzz, or if so my pleco takes care of it. I am going to rinse all of it off and do a pwc. Will this interrupt my cycle if I do a 50-75% water change?

If I put my hand in the tank and touch the fuzz, it feels super slimy :\ I want it gone! I'm looking to keep angelfish and rams and I need the water to be pristine and this feels like a bad start. :(

bud29 said:
Hi, ammonia is probably the cause of it. Do you have the light on in the tank? If so, leave it off. To remove the fungus, I would scoop out a little bit of tank water and rinse off the intake tube and other objects that have fungus on them in that tank water. Needless to say, that tank water does not go back in the tank.

The light is off most of the time, but my dad does turn it on every now and again and forgets about it. I'm just going to unplug them to avoid further issues. Ty!!

jondamon said:
I experienced something similar when I was fishless cycling my tank.

When it breaks free of whatever it's attached to it almost looks like "smoke" in the water.

I believe it's due to the Ammonia.

All I did was take out what had it on and cleaned them then put them back in the tank and then did a PWC.

If you are running lights turn them off for the time being.

My suspicions are that it has to do with bacteria, temperature and the ammonia, as once I finished my cycle and reduced temp and stopped adding ammonia it never returned.

Jon

This is copied from your as of now thread.

Regards

Jon

As I have been lead to believe this wood fungus (affecting Mopani more than others) is completely harmless and goes by itself. I would doubt that it would be transfered via filter media though. Your example just looks very similar to some advanced stages of this that I have seen. I took my wood out of my own aquarium because it was just a bit unsightly (and rather smelly once in the air!), althought the guppies did like to nip at it. I just preffered not to have it in there in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom