good and bad morning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbnbrotha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm excited I just got my Ro/di system up and running and it's making a water at 001 parts ppm, loving that. But I have one question. I don't think my protein skimmer is working. How can I identify if I have a malfunctioning protein skimmer? It bubbles like it supposed to but it doesn't seem to be pulling the green sludge out the top, could this just mean that I don't have proteins to skim? or is the protein skimmer defective?

No, it is trying to skim. You need to adjust the water and/or air coming into the system. The water level in your skimmer just isn't high enough for the bubbles to collect in the collection cup. It is either that or it is still tuning itself in, they can take a week to a month at the longest to start to work brand new.

Thanks ill add some water to bring it up to level. Its just that it seems like i top off about 1 to 1 1/2 gal of water a week. I do not have a lid on my tank so i figured that was not a bad evaluation rate.

How big is your tank? I top off 1 gal per day. My ATO bucket is a 5 gal bucket and it is right empty every 5 days for a 110 gal tank.

I have a 55 gal tank, i waz thinking of adding a top off system just not sure where i could make it fit.

I ran a tee off of my ro/ di to my sump and installed a float valve for my top offs hope this helps

I bought a 1/4 tee from lowes or home depot and ordered a 1/4 adjustable float valve from BRS . If u r going to run a skimmer u need to be able to adjust your water level .once again i hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom