Good fish for a 20 long in a special education classroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyheyitsrae

Aquarium Advice Activist
My dad (a special education teacher) asked me to set up an aquarium for his classroom. I have found a 20 long aquarium within the budget he gave me and am now thinking of what to put in once it's cycled and stuff. We've decided on a mix of live and fake plants along with a helicopter crash scene (he's a retired Black Hawk pilot), so there should be a good amount of hiding places.

In his words, he wants "colorful but sturdy fish, and colorful."

I've never had cories before so I want to put some in there, and then I was thinking a gourami as a centerpiece fish.

Recommendations? Also ideas on what to decorate it with to make the helicopter crash site look cool. Thanks to all of y'all, as always.

Cichlids are usually very hearty fish. Maybe some guppies instead of Neons??

I like the O.P's idea the best. I'd go with a dwarf gourami, small school of pepper or panda corys and maybe a school of ember tetras?! :)

I'm not sure if I want to try keeping rams yet. I have a really hard time keeping my nitrates down as it is in my 10 gallon, with water changes every 3 or 4 days. They're so beautiful though, I definitely want to try keeping them. My ph is like 7.5 though. Hm.

I would suggest a single pair of Kribs! They are very sturdy, very colorful, and chances are the students will get a chance to see their fry as well.

I would not choose M ramirezi for a school tank. Altispinosa would likely fare better, and Kribs are even tougher than those (IMO the best choice if you're looking at dwarf cichlids).

You can put Tahitian moon sand around the helicopter, make it look realistic

I'll definitely look into Kribs then. No other tank mates?

I don't think I'd suggest other bottom dwelling fish with a pair of kribs, as they can get somewhat aggressive when breeding. I do think you could get away with a sturdy tetra that doesn't get too large- my pick would be the flame/von rio tetra, Hyphessobrycon flammeus. They're colorful, hardy, and fast.

Have you considered an invert tank? Shrimp all very interesting to watch and breed easily/quickly. Also can be pretty low maintenance with some plants.

I actually have. I would want to do cherry shrimp though and those are so dang expensive. It would look SOO nice too because the tank came with black sand.

My dad (a special education teacher) asked me to set up an aquarium for his classroom. I have found a 20 long aquarium within the budget he gave me and am now thinking of what to put in once it's cycled and stuff. We've decided on a mix of live and fake plants along with a helicopter crash scene (he's a retired Black Hawk pilot), so there should be a good amount of hiding places.

In his words, he wants "colorful but sturdy fish, and colorful."

I've never had cories before so I want to put some in there, and then I was thinking a gourami as a centerpiece fish.

Recommendations? Also ideas on what to decorate it with to make the helicopter crash site look cool. Thanks to all of y'all, as always.

In a 20 long in that setting (i have one waiting in storage) I'd go with low light plants like java fern / java moss, Anubius and crypts ... Crypts and anubias can almost give the impression of tropical pants for the crash site. To start, hardy fish like rasboras, blood-fin tetras and goldbarbs add color. Once it's established, you can look to do cardinal tetras and maybe GBR'S / Bolivians... Again for color.

RCS, Amano's and ghost shrimp can also follow once it's established.

He kinda wants to get it set up by the time school starts (3 weeks from today). I want to do a fish less cycle for as long as possible, but when school starts what can I have on there? I'm going to start cycling tomorrow. I will try to seed it as much as I can with a moss ball, filter media, maybe some gravel... Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom