Good lighting time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just a quick question...
I currently have only my PC bulbs 2 x 96 watt on ( I only have three small mushroom polyps) I was wondering whats the minimum I could keep the lights on and still have these mushrooms happy? Right now I have them from 11:30am - 8:30pm ( I get home late)

The reason I ask is, I just got an Ro/di for christmas and am slowly making PWC ( and of course using it for top offs) due to it being below freezing lately I cant make all the water I need at once - I am starting to get quite an algae problem from originally using treated tap water with the stronger lights. I want to decrease the lights safely to help with the algae until I can get the tank switched over to almost all RO/DI

thanks!!

You could probably get away with 6 hrs a day. My RO/DI is in my tool shed so I can sympathize with you on how slow it is.

Ok good, I'll try bumping it down to 6 hours and see if that helps. Do you think once I get mostly Ro/DI ( and of course use rodi for top off) that the algae will get under control?

Its crazy how all of a sudden after almost a year with no algae problems I've got a HUGE problem with green algae. I did just get new lights about a month ago.. I know that contributes.

Whats a good amount of time to keep the lights on after I get the algae under control... 6-8 hours?

I would say that using RO/DI water will help knock it out. There are many factors though and lighting might only be one of them but it will help.

Thanks for your input as always :) I will try ro/di replacement, once a week water changes ( instead of every two weeks) and feeding every other day.. I'll keep you updated.

I bought them used. The guy had told me they were in use 2 months. I would imagine theres a lot of life left in them yet. Theres probably no sure way to tell?

I'm thinking its the water. I used treated tap water for make up and top offs since I started my tank. I only did my first ro/di and ro/di starting last weekend. I imagine the stronger lighting with not so pure water started this.

How long should I try to correct it with the above mentioned methods before trying new PC lights?

Back
Top Bottom