Good Low Light Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vanimal said:
3 months. Yeah its cycled. I used a liquid test kit. And my blood parrot and Angel follow me around too. My Blood Parrot will eat out of my hand

Awesome man. Where you get your tank?
I don't know really anyone with a tank. So been learning a lot off here. Winning the golds at fair wasn't expected but really been enjoying the hobby.
Can't wait to get my bigger tank
You use a canister? Which one?
Mine will eat out of my hand or nibble on me when doing my cleaning.

vanimal said:
Craigslist and I have a sump.

Cool. You obviously are more experienced than me. :)

You have any plants now in tank?

Question: why chance 10 gallons every day versus a bigger change? What water you use? Tap?

Yeah tap water. Because I like 50% weekly so its a lot less work to do it in small groups than do 75 in one day or 25 3 times I think. Also then I don't have to turn the sump off. Its a hassel to get it going again.

vanimal said:
Yeah tap water. Because I like 50% weekly so its a lot less work to do it in small groups than do 75 in one day or 25 3 times I think.

Yeah that makes sense. Glad I spoke with you. Once I get the 150 it may be what I do as well. I'm sure it makes it easier. I usually don't get home until after 7 though after work and gym :)
You use Prime? U use it from tap or store and treat it?
I current use RO from All Fish and mix it with spring. But I know it will be more $$$ with 150

Another benefit of doing smaller water changes is putting 10 gallons of untreated water into 140 wont make a difference. I only use prime if its a big water change. But when first starting your tank and its still cycling prime is a must. For me it saves money, work, and time doing the smaller water changes :)

vanimal said:
Another benefit of doing smaller water changes is putting 10 gallons of untreated water into 140 wont make a difference. I only use prime if its a big water change. But when first starting your tank and its still cycling prime is a must. For me it saves money, work, and time doing the smaller water changes :)

So what have your parameters been? I've been struggling with nitrates as the fish get bigger. Goldies are messier too.

Do u do a larger PWC at all? Vacuum substrate, etc?

I have a canister on the 55. Clean that once a month. Was doing 20% PWC but due to higher nitrate recently started doing 40%.

Well 50% weekly and I vacuum poop extra food etc out every day. Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate are all 0.

vanimal said:
Well 50% weekly and I vacuum poop extra food etc out every day. Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate are all 0.

Wow man. That's awesome. So do you have any live plants now?

Def would be cool to keep in touch since your local for help if needed :)

3 two like grassy ones and a moss ball. I highly suggest you getting a moss ball because they hardly need any light and their filter feeders. They filter out bad stuff in your water and also will help lower your nitrates. I only have one but if you have the money 3 would be cool.

ForumRunner_20120814_124638.jpg

ForumRunner_20120814_124730.jpg

What is your substrate?

I have mine pretty planted. I'm limited as goldfish eat plants. I usually have to replace most eventually. I had a couple moss balls which they shredded. Lol. So I got a floating fry tank which I have two moss balls in. I did read they would absorb nitrate.

So how long u been keeping tanks?

I have black sand, I love it! Since I switched from white to black all my fish got better colors. Probably like 6 years but I've had tanks all my life.

Yeah currently I have tan sand. Sorta same color as on the beach here in Florida.

I thought about doing black sand when I upgrade. Thought about doing a 3D background too but not sure if that would provide area for waste I couldn't get to.

Wow you are definitely more experienced than me.

Ever have goldfish?

No I never really liked them much.(no offense) I've always liked aggressive fish. Before I moved I had a 55 gallon tank with 4 Red Bellied Piranhas and a Pleco. Unfortunately you can't get them down here. But I like semi aggressive fish too. Never really been into community tanks. Hbu?

Lol no offense. Not sure I would have chosen them if I were establishing a tank. But I "inherited" them when friends won them at a carnival. Didnt know anything about cycling etc.

I've always wanted a tank though.

Where you move from? Like it in Florida?

What is hbu?

Minnesota. And no not really Florida is boring. No kids in my neighborhood and not much space. I used to have a forest by my house me and my friends would build forts and stuff in there. Also play airsoft alot. Now my $200+ spent on airsoft guns is pointless. And I have no use for my bb, pellet gun, or bow and arrow. It means how bout you

Lol yeah realized it meant that after I asked.

Yeah I agree. I miss real woods to hike in etc. I've been in fl for awhile. Love the weather in winter.

What's your age? That's cool your parents let u have such a large tank?

U should put more pics in your profile.

I like the snow. Snow boarding is so fun! I'm 15 and yeah my Dad loves fish so he let me get it as long as I paid for it. I can't do any profile stuff from my phone.

Yep its sweet my big brother still lives in Minnesota he's 29 and he has a 210 gallon. It has a pleco and 15 Red Bellied Piranha. Its awesome!

Back
Top Bottom