Good or bad algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt bussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have this brown colored algae growing on my back glass and heavily around my filter outlet. If this bad algae. It just started taking off since I've added a coral algae booster called "purple up". If this is not good algae could someone tell me what to do about it?

image-485890146.jpg

image-2809140092.jpg

First off, there is no such thing as bad algae. All algae help your tank. If you find it unsightly, then find ways to take care of it. I would assume that the purple up may have something to do with this algae appearing. After all, coralline is an algae also and use some of the same nutrients.. Personally, I find the use of any additives unnecessary. How long has the tank been set up? How many gallons? What's the stock like? How long are the lights on for a day? How much water do you change and how often? What's your filtration like? How old are your bulbs? What are your parameters like?

I added purple up and the same thing happened algae everywhere. I think my t8 lights I had also added to the problem so I replaced them with a t5 fixture
and the growth is not a lot less and its starting to go away.

Purple up is basically calcium and nutrients in a bottle. If you want coraline, get some scrapings from a friend or lfs.

As for algae issues, how long do you keep them on? Id bet you have them on for too long and have a large amounts of nutrients in the water.

Stop the purple up, cut back on feeding, and reduce lighting.

Back
Top Bottom