Good or bad fireworm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wlegrow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Found it this morning and have been able to narrow it down to a fireworm, but apparently there's one that's bad and want to make sure this isn't that one... Thanks!

(sorry - pics from iphone.... Piece of ....)

Attachments

• image-2367663298.jpg
    image-2367663298.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 340
  • image-742950969.jpg
    image-742950969.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 314
I cant tell from the pic but I`m not sure if there is such a thing as a "good" fireworm. Bristle worm but not a fire worm.

Based on Chucksaddiction website on hitch hikers:

"Amphinoids are also known as "fireworms" and have calcareous setae filled with poisonous secretions. When irritated, they erect their sharp setae which break off at a touch releasing their poisonous contents into the wound. Most species are found on corals, rocks and other hard substrata covered with attached organisms. They swim well and can be brilliantly colored. All but one species can be considered harmless and are great scavengers."

from this page: Worm Hitch Hikers

Although, it does also look like the first picture under the section called "The Hesionids" on the same page... Wish I had a better picture!

Either way, it sounds like I might want to get rid of it... what's the best way?

I would get rid, I had one a few years ago which had a disagreement with my filter intake and poisoned my aquarium. I lost all of my fish and it ruined everything. In my opinion there is no such thing as a good fire worm but that is a matter for debate I am sure.

I took the rock out and encouraged him out with a water pic full or RO water! That works really well... lol. The snail that was on that rock is happily munching algae on the rock beside it now. Hopefully that'll be the end of that!

Thanks for your help.

Oh man... Oh well - I guess I'm going to have to get a direct line to you Mr X! lol... Thanks for your input!

Sure. it's just that most worms seem to get a bad rap. fireworms are actually very rare in our tanks. 99% of the time they are common bristle worms.google "fireworm images".
most of the bristles are detrivores. people are pulling them out and killing them, and then ordering expensive "cleanup crews" on line. kinda silly.

Okay Doug - Thanks for the info. I'm definitely keeping you on speed dial! lol

Back
Top Bottom