Good sand mover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex.walkerrrrr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 125 wit sand and 3 oscars, two tinfoil barbs, two red hook silver dollars, 1 common pleco, and 1 shovel nose cat

I need something to move the sand around a lot and get it stirred and really roughed around with, I would put cory's in there but I obviously can't with oscars, what would be a good option, maybe some loaches?

You could try one of the S. American Geophagus species; Eartheaters. They're from the same general area as oscars, and do quite well with them, although they're quite a bit smaller. And, as the name implies, they're substrate sifters. Geophagus steindachneri is my personal favorite. They reach about 5", are non aggressive, and fun to watch as they go about their business.

Yeah but I know they can reproduce like crazy and I don't want to have to give them a calcium diet and put calcium in he water, any other suggestions

You could try one of the S. American Geophagus species; Eartheaters. They're from the same general area as oscars, and do quite well with them, although they're quite a bit smaller. And, as the name implies, they're substrate sifters. Geophagus steindachneri is my personal favorite. They reach about 5", are non aggressive, and fun to watch as they go about their business.

Ok thank you I will look into the earth eaters, my oscars drop so much excess food that they chew up and I have these worms that are a symptom of uneaten food so I'll get 5 of those and they should do a good job of getting the uneaten food.

When i do water changes i stick the tube down into the sand and move it around a lot to get the crap out. Then when the water gets sucked out, its mostly all gunk instead of the fresher water

Mts arent too picky I doubt you would need calcium. Best option imo.

When i do water changes i stick the tube down into the sand and move it around a lot to get the crap out. Then when the water gets sucked out, its mostly all gunk instead of the fresher water

My siphon ends up being too strong but I'll try to link the hose

Hmm i dont have issues... i mean i dip it in there and move it around. The sand gets about half way up the tube and i pull the tube out and let it fall, and repeat

Mts arent too picky I doubt you would need calcium. Best option imo.
(y)
^^I can't agree more!^^

The rest of you some how see adding fish to help clean the tank ? Really?:facepalm:
Look one more time that stock list!:whistle:
I own a 6 foot tank....:nono:
You know what the best cleaner fish is?
the FISH keeper.....Everything else is adding crap to the show !

Good luck!

I do agree its way too much for that tank but my direction was a solution without criticizing...

Canisters are great but you still need to maintain. I have 2 HOBs and a canister on my 60tall and i do a WC 2x a week

I do agree its way too much for that tank but my direction was a solution without criticizing...
Thank you!
I only seem critical because this is a solution for this,
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/little-white-worms-354210.html
I am either full of it or it only hurts if it is true and are unwilling to accept help ?
I could not in good conscious recommend adding one fish even if the tank was running smoothly by someone who knew the filter is not a fix.
Like you said yourself ,you have to maintain the tank also?

I only try to offer good advice.
This tank is going to only become harder to maintain as the stock already in it grows...

Back
Top Bottom