Good Skimmer for a 90g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheTodd

Aquarium Advice Addict
I barely have my new 240g running and am already eyeing the corner of my bedroom that would hold a 3' tank. I found a custom glass tank on CL for $100. (3x2x3) which is listed as a. 65g, but I believe is a 90g. I will very likely end up building a stand, so I can go HOB skimmer or sump. For some reason, I am currently leaning towards going HOB. It will be a reef...probably minimal fish, more focus on corals.

Any suggestions for a HOB? OR feel free to talk me into going with a sump. I could drill the bottom and use one of the overflows that I pulled off of my 240. They are already 2' tall, so it would just mean resealing it in a corner.

It is going to be right next to my bed, so it has to be quiet.

HOB skimmers generally suck. You can't drill the bottom as it's most likely tempered. Drill the back for a glass holes overflow. Use an oversized overflow and an undersized pump and the flow should be silent.
BTW, is this tank 3' tall? Yikes! No getting to the bottom of that. Maybe you can do a mega DSB and use it as a project to judge effectiveness and longevity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bubble-Magus-BM-180EX-Protein-Skimmer-Brand-New-/110640229667

Oops...3x2x2. :)

I guess my thoughts for HOB were it would be less expensive...buy it, plug it in and it's done. Going sump means drilling, plumbing, buy skimmer and pump, etc. I think I am just tired of how long my 240 took.

For the bottom, this guy said the bottom is not tempered.

Then you have to glue in the overflow box,still drill the tank, install a standpipe, and the overflow will take up a lot of space. I still vote for the GH box over one that runs all the way to the bottom of the tank.
Remember, skimmers aren't completely silent. I'd rather have one in the cabinet than hanging out in plain sight.

Back
Top Bottom