Good tank mates for little shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TwoFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I'm setting up a little planted 5.5 gallon planted shrimp tank. My plan is to keep crystal red shrimp in it, but I think I'd like to have a fish or two in there, too, as it's really turned out to be a beautiful little tank.

What fish are shrimp friendly? Would a guppy try to eat them? Or a beta?

Or should I just let it be a shrimp tank?

I would suggest just a shrimp only tank. Don't have one myself yet, But I am starting a couple soon and been doing a lot of research. I've seen that most fish will at least eat the baby shrimp and that the colony won't be able to grow. Also noticed that with a shrimp only tank, they will be out more and not spend all day hiding.

I would suggest neons. I have 5 neon tetras in my shrimp tank and the shrimp are doing great! Don't try betas, guppies or other fish though, they will have a tasty snack. Are you starting off with crystal red shrimp? Most people start off with cherry shrimp because they are cheaper and easier. Good luck with your shrimp tank!

I am doing this tank with crystal reds, I do know that they are expensive. If they prove to be just too much and too delicate, I'll order a batch of cherry.

I have some American glass shrimp in my community tank that started this whole "I need a shrimp tank!" nonsense. I do love the little guys, when I can spot them ;)

I love crystals too, their colors are amazing, the nicer ones are harder than low grade ones. Trying to selectively breed higher grades right now:) Good luck

Back
Top Bottom