Good tank mates for neon tetra and platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warren_rc77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I currently have one neon tetra and one Mickey Mouse platy, what would be good tank mates for these two? I have a 10 gallon half moon.

Sent from my Touchpad using Tapatalk

You would need to increase the neon school. What I would do is rehome the platy (I just don't like them) and get more neons. I don't know if platys can do fine on their own or in pairs, but neons need at least 6 to be happiest. If platys are okay in pairs than maybe 2 platys and 6 neons would be basically it. But if platies need more than three you can't have both.

Platies would be fine in a pair question is though is is the platty a male or female. If you want neon tetra the bare min would be 4 but 6 is recommended. In my 26 bow front I have 7 neons and 5 rummy noses, with 4 pineapple platies 1 male 3 female

The platy is fine on it's own. You should most definitely get 5 more neons though. You could even add some ghost shrimp or a mystery snail for some interesting inverts :)

Back
Top Bottom