Goodbye friends, rip beautiful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
I will no longer be fish keeping as I've lost another fish one which I cannot replace, one that's actually endangered in the wild which I had no idea about, so I only could not save one of God's beautiful creatures let alone one that's on the brink of extinction, I will remove myself from the group, you all have been kind and informative, I've learned a lot from you all take care and godspeed
https://i.imgur.com/Am4iVpD.jpg

Fish die... it's a fact of life... in fact.. everything dies!!! To behold such beauty in your living room for even a couple years is worth it imo.. each their own.. quilts never die, perhaps knitting??

Fish die... it's a fact of life... in fact.. everything dies!!! To behold such beauty in your living room for even a couple years is worth it imo.. each their own.. quilts never die, perhaps knitting??
It's not that brookster, it's the fact I feel Extremely guilty for even owning them as they are endangered, not to mention its the second rainbow I've lost in 3 days because of tubifex I'm assuming . The sentani were not even 1 years old

unfortunately we all lost fish while being in this hobby , sometimes things happen that is out of our control. remember a fish lose isn't the end of the world , yes we all grow close to our wiggly friends . and nobody likes a death.

it's still no reason to give up the hobby . that tank gave you something to be proud of and happiness also gave you something to talk about.

you may choose to take a time out to let things settle . but remember you still have many friends here . some may even need your advice . you are always welcome . when that time comes we are here to give you that support.

be strong don't give up doing something you love . that bug is already implanted in your veins .

some of your threads I could tell how proud you were from how you talked about your tank,

don't take a lose as the end take it as a new beginning i know as well as you you really don't want to give up ! disappoint yourself along with all your friends

head up my friend there's a new beginning awaiting (y)

seaweed

unfortunately we all lost fish while being in this hobby , sometimes things happen that is out of our control. remember a fish lose isn't the end of the world , yes we all grow close to our wiggly friends . and nobody likes a death.

it's still no reason to give up the hobby . that tank gave you something to be proud of and happiness also gave you something to talk about.

you may choose to take a time out to let things settle . but remember you still have many friends here . some may even need your advice . you are always welcome . when that time comes we are here to give you that support.

be strong don't give up doing something you love . that bug is already implanted in your veins .

some of your threads I could tell how proud you were from how you talked about your tank,

don't take a lose as the end take it as a new beginning i know as well as you you really don't want to give up ! disappoint yourself along with all your friends

head up my friend there's a new beginning awaiting (y)

seaweed
I don't want to give up absolutely not, I just honestly have no idea how they died, it was hot here, tank got to 84.5 degrees, I did a 20% cool off water change that was only like a 1 degree drop for the tank, (tank was 84.5 water was 83.5), I let them relax for a few after the water change they were all perfect and happy, I fed tubifex that night, woke up the next day to my Irian with white feces as well as a lot of other rainbows I dosed prazi pro and cut their food off , the Irani died that same day, then I see the sentani with the same symptoms I thought hey maybe it's the prazi, did a 50% water change seemed to help for about 2 hours then he died tonight, I spend countless hours on this tank to make sure everything is perfect, the sentani were not even a year old (in my possession) maybe a year total before they got to the store.
I'm just bummed out

Maybe that's why your particular Rainbows are endangered; they are fragile, unadaptable to temp. swings or are ultra food specific. "NOT YOUR FAULT"
Get charged up. Go to your LFS and buy a grouping of inexpensive bulletproof fish and have fun. You'll be alright Rick. (y)

Maybe that's why your particular Rainbows are endangered; they are fragile, unadaptable to temp. swings or are ultra food specific. "NOT YOUR FAULT"
Get charged up. Go to your LFS and buy a grouping of inexpensive bulletproof fish and have fun. You'll be alright Rick. (y)
Irians are good hardy fish, but bows in general are sensitive I have 5 bows left looks so bare

It’s heartbreaking when we try to do everything we can for a tanks and it doesn’t work out. It took me a year to get my Nursery tank stable after losing all the shrimp in there from heavy metals.

I had half a tank die off when I tried feeding freeze dried tubifex worms. I’ll never use it again.

If your done your done. If you have anything left in you to continue then I suggest leaving the tank as is for a month. Do your maintenance. If at the end of the month you still feel no desire to continue then find it a good home.

It’s heartbreaking when we try to do everything we can for a tanks and it doesn’t work out. It took me a year to get my Nursery tank stable after losing all the shrimp in there from heavy metals.

I had half a tank die off when I tried feeding freeze dried tubifex worms. I’ll never use it again.

If your done your done. If you have anything left in you to continue then I suggest leaving the tank as is for a month. Do your maintenance. If at the end of the month you still feel no desire to continue then find it a good home.
Yeah I heard about the tubifex just yesterday after researching, threw them in the trash, I guess it's because they swell up in the stomach not sure, won't feed them anymore, all other fish are doing great, fasted for 3 days fed peas soaked in a little bit of Epson salt water tonight.

Believe me when I say how much I completely understand how there are so many emotions and swings from loses. As others have mentioned there are so many times when I have had a loss or issue. Some my fault, sometimes bad timing, sometimes something I had no clue about, sometimes what I learn after the fact as other members mentioned too, that can help someone else in the future.

Even seasoned, experienced keepers have bad times and kill fish, lose fish, have fish jump, and on and on.

Truth is usually the majority of these fish wouldn't make it past the baby stage in the wild because they become food for other fish. That fact really isn't exactly comforting but, to know that fish keeping as a hobby does good for preservation in many cases.

There are many kinds of internal parasites and perhaps it was a kind that was not killed by the medicine you had available. In the wild fish have parasites and die ALL of the time because they don't have a person giving them great water conditions and medicine.

Grieve. Losing fish (and shrimp) sucks and it is often a painful (and frustrating & sad) experience.

Know we are here for you. And again as already mentioned, you have kind and helpful words for other keepers. <3

Believe me when I say how much I completely understand how there are so many emotions and swings from loses. As others have mentioned there are so many times when I have had a loss or issue. Some my fault, sometimes bad timing, sometimes something I had no clue about, sometimes what I learn after the fact as other members mentioned too, that can help someone else in the future.

Even seasoned, experienced keepers have bad times and kill fish, lose fish, have fish jump, and on and on.

Truth is usually the majority of these fish wouldn't make it past the baby stage in the wild because they become food for other fish. That fact really isn't exactly comforting but, to know that fish keeping as a hobby does good for preservation in many cases.

There are many kinds of internal parasites and perhaps it was a kind that was not killed by the medicine you had available. In the wild fish have parasites and die ALL of the time because they don't have a person giving them great water conditions and medicine.

Grieve. Losing fish (and shrimp) sucks and it is often a painful (and frustrating & sad) experience.

Know we are here for you. And again as already mentioned, you have kind and helpful words for other keepers. <3
Ty for the kind words, it was actually the tubifex that killed them im almost certain my water is so pristine I could probably drink it... Eww (okay maybe not ?) but the quality is impeccable, I've read horror stories about freeze dried tubifex killing fish I just wish I could of did something for them to pass it but there wasn't, I'm still keeping an eye on the other fish but all ate some peas today soaked in a bit of Epson salt solution which will help clear everything else out.

I know i can't give up I love it too much even though set backs like this drive me nuts, there's an old saying I usually live by and it's this "without failure you'll never truly succeed", I just have to put this behind me, but the rainbows do not seem happy missing the 2 that passed, I'm not sure if I should replace them as I know rainbows need a group of 5 which I have but a few don't hang out with the other ones, I think the 2 passing upset the balance not sure though they don't act sick or anything but they are a bit more feisty towards each other.

Ty you all for the kind words, I can't give up on something I love I just need to take this tragedy and learn from it and push on. Ty again everyone

Water from my home tap is good for Rainbows, but I also have had issues keeping them as well. A few months back I tried again and lost them in QT. So for now I plan to not get them unless from one of the guys who get his to breed locally from the fish club.

I had some of the local ones a trio of Turquoise and a pair of Boesemani before and they were among the longer lived. Guilt is a hard one. It is self imposed.

Water from my home tap is good for Rainbows, but I also have had issues keeping them as well. A few months back I tried again and lost them in QT. So for now I plan to not get them unless from one of the guys who get his to breed locally from the fish club.

I had some of the local ones a trio of Turquoise and a pair of Boesemani before and they were among the longer lived. Guilt is a hard one. It is self imposed.
Rainbows are stunning that's why I can't give up on them, I haven't lost many a few from age I believe, the last one I lost before this incident was a turquoise that was 6 years old,

My tap waters tds is 52, my tanks tds is 148
Tap kh is 6 gh 6, tank kh is 4.5-5 gh is 6

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 25
Phosphate 1.1
Ph 7.4

A lot of rainbows are poorly bred as they are in high demand in the hobby, I have found that feeding them very high quality foods is very important as well as rainbows need a heavily planted tank, I don't know why but it's highly recommended by all of the top rainbow breeders/keepers.

I'm in the same boat with other fish, I can't keep Harlequin rasboras for the life of me.

Back
Top Bottom