Goofy Clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limemittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just recently added a bubble coral to our tank (a beauty I might add) and our maroon clown has taken quite a interest in it. He swims back and forth in front of it as if he was guarding it and acts like he is trying to host with it like an anenome. He has always been a goofy fish doing weird stuff, but this was every strange for him. Has anyone ever heard of this and can he do any damage to the coral? I know that bubbles/ lobes can be pretty delicate when they are fully expanded. I will try to get a picture if I can...he is kind of camera shy..LOL.

Thanks.

My clownfish has recently done the same thing, but he always seems to have taken a liking to the LPS corals. If yours goes in it a lot and you see the coral not opening as much I would move it or somehow block it off for a while. It is possible for it to damage the coral, so I'd just keep an eye on it. Mine seems fine so far and it's been doing it for months.

HTH :)

Well speaking of that here is my clown with my bubble coral. He`s actually sleeping. The flash is what illuminates everything. I try to tell folks that sometimes a clown will not always host an anenome. Corals, powerheads and even just a corner of a tank could be home.

100_0638.jpg

It can really go either way. The clown could love it to death also... it just all depends.

I had a bubble coral that my clown kept kicking sand at with its tail. Didn't realize it until it was too late. Guess he didn't like it in his "turf." They're weird that way.

Do clowns lay down to sleep? Mine never does...he stays in the powerhead current almost the entire day and then swims around the tank checking out his domain all day. I foten wonder if he needs a place to "bed down"? He's in perpetual motion.

Mine does. He lays on the bubble coral at night. The other clown (Tomato) host my hammer coral and sometimes he lays on it and sometimes he hovers around it depending how much the flesh retracts into the skeleton.

I think it just depends on the individual fish. Mine (O.Clown) doesn't... it just kind of slowly wiggles/hovers in the back corner. Even though I've had bubble corals, and still have a torch coral, it just doesn't seem interested in adopting any of them. He seems to like his little corner.

Thanks. We will just keep an eye out for any damage and block him away if needed. It is actually kind of cute. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Stuff 2 098.jpg
    Stuff 2 098.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Stuff 2 100.jpg
    Stuff 2 100.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Stuff 2 099.jpg
    Stuff 2 099.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 68
mine floats flat on its side on the top corner of my tank when the lights go out. Did that in my 40, and now in my 75.

Back
Top Bottom