Goofy idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majolo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so here's the thing: I have some hornwort (Ceratophyllum) in my tank, and it's growing like crazy (>0.5 in/day, I think!), which is fine with me. I just don't like that it's naturally a floater and doesn't take root in the gravel. So I was wondering if it would be possible to glue the end of the plant to a large pebble to keep it down. Using something like aquarium epoxy, I guess. Before anyone tells me to tie them on with thread, my BN pleco tends to gnaw on threads, so I can't keep things tied on that way, plus the pebbles are too round to tie stuff securely. I guess one question is whether the epoxy can actually bond to living plant tissue. And I suppose that part of the stem might rot and then the plant would fall off...

Anyway, do you think it would work? I guess with the rate this stuff grows at, it couldn't hurt to try a cutting...

ask your local fish store for some metal aquatic plant anchors, or tie it with fishling line too a large rock. i would not use epoxy on a live plant :?

Crazy Glue can be used to attach plants. Not sure about what you are describing. But it works for moss and Anubias.

I had great success using plants weights wrapped loosley around hornwort. Just don't wrap it very tightly or the stems will rot.

I think that any sort of glue would quickly kill hornwort.

Back
Top Bottom