Got a Gold Nugget? How big is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toker95

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been doing alot of reading on the different fish I have in my tank lately. Before I got my gold nugget (L177, L85), I'd read several reputable profile sources that indicated they could grow as large as 12 or 13 inches. However those resources also indicated they normally only grow as large as 7 or 8 inches in common household aquaria, versus the full capable size in the wild.

So, I'm simply curious, if you have one, how big is it?

To boot, since I'm curious, how long did it take for him to grow to that size?

Mine is about 3, maybe 3.5 inches. Purchased in March'06 from ThatFishPlace.com's retail store in Lancaster PA. He might have added a half inch, so he was a solid 3 coming home, and in two months he might have grown a half inch.

Just curious...

I have a GN pleco but its a L18, so it may not be like yours. The max size on mine is 5-6 inches. I checked www.planetcatfish.com (an excellent resource) and they didn't have any size info on L177. You may be able to get more info or input from the planetcatfish forum. Hope this helps you out. Cheers!

I have a gold nugget pleco, have had him for a year. He is 4". He was 2" when I got him.
Mine is a L18 as well but I found this link for the L177. The link shows the L18 and the L177 side by side to compare what the differences are.

Nice link Zagz, since they are the same species it is definitely worthwhile to know which one one is getting lest they bust their tank. :D The L018 is considered a dwarf species. I've tried to discover why or what created this anomaly but unsuccessful so far.

Jchillin said:
Nice link Zagz, since they are the same species it is definitely worthwhile to know which one one is getting lest they bust their tank. :D The L018 is considered a dwarf species. I've tried to discover why or what created this anomaly but unsuccessful so far.

One thing I've found very little information on, is exactly the difference between the two. The only source I found which listed the under both L #'s (which I misquoted above)... Could it be that the L018 is the dwarf variety of the L177? Could it be possible that in home aquaria, the L177 just doesn't grow as large and was incorrectly reclassified as a seperate L# ?

Dunno, either way, I have yet to reach my Biocapacity, so I'm not worried. I'm sure I can find someone who'd like mine if I do need the tank space down the line.

Anyone got any good links on sexing? I've got plenty of info, but no pictures to reference and back it up.

Yes, it is a dwarf of the L177.

I trust Planetcatfish and their assigning of L #'s. It is true that they are the same species but the difference is the size and spots, hence the separate L#.

If you take a look, you will see L#'s assigned to similar catfish species. The ancistrus sp. is one such entry. I've counted at least 7 L#'s for them, these include the brown bristlenose and the albino bristlenose.

Sexing a pleco? You be better off looking for hen's teeth. With most species, it's almost impossible. Check the profiles on Planetcatfish for info on the L018.

Jchillin said:
I trust Planetcatfish and their assigning of L #'s.

Just curious... Who DOES assign the L#'s ? Or will I find that out on planetcatfish too? don't worry, surfing it right now... thanks for the link, loving it...

Back
Top Bottom