Got some seeded media!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another nod to Mr Fisher for the seeded material. I received my package on Wednesday last week, and by Saturday my 80 gallon was completely cycled. I started the cycle on that tank March 27, completed on April 12. FAST FAST FAST.

Super fast shipping and awesome communication.

Thank you!

Hi im new to aquariums but im branching out and deciding to breed danios. So I know I cant use a filter as it will suck up my fry if I place one of these filters in my breeding tank will it cycle without fish in it? May sound like a stupid question but like I said im just starting out and I will have a slow running air stone in my breeder tank with a couple small live plants.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi im new to aquariums but im branching out and deciding to breed danios. So I know I cant use a filter as it will suck up my fry if I place one of these filters in my breeding tank will it cycle without fish in it? May sound like a stupid question but like I said im just starting out and I will have a slow running air stone in my breeder tank with a couple small live plants.

You'll need a source of ammonia to feed the beneficial bacteria.

You can, and I would suggest, using an air driven sponge filter in your breeding tank. I've got a couple seeded ones if you're interested pm me

You should probably start your own thread for this topic. But no, I wouldn't recommend not having a filter. If you use an HOB (hang on the back) filter you can put a prefilter sponge over the intake to stop the babies getting sucked up. I run mine with one all the time because I have small fish that actually did get sucked up once. You might also look into sponge filters. They have great bio filtration and won't produce a big flow in the tank. They are popular for fry tanks.

I have started this topic before and although I got some GREAT information I could never find an answer to this problem but I'm sorry to post off topic

I have started this topic before and although I got some GREAT information I could never find an answer to this problem but I'm sorry to post off topic

No worries. I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the only way to not have some kind of biological filter in your tank is to plant it incredibly heavy including some floating plants. As in... your tank will be packed to the gills (pardon the pun) with plants. You'd still want an air pump or something to provide some turbulence and oxygenation.

I think a Sponge Filter is the way to go for you. I can certainly attest to the quality of Mr Fisher's seeded material. Without one of his seeded sponges for my HOB, I don't think my tank would have ever cycled.

Back
Top Bottom