Gourami and Femals bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NillyWilly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello gang!

So I'm finally ready to start seriously stocking my 40 gal! So far I have 1 blue gourami, 1 rainbow shark, and a bristlenose pleco.

I absolutely LOVE bettas, and was considered staring a betta sorority before I had to downsize to just this tank. Would it be possible to add female bettas to this tank? I don't plan on doing live plants in this tank again (besides moss balls) and I know bettas love planted tanks, so that's a factor as well. I do have silk plants though.

If female bettas are not a good idea, any other fun suggestions? Thanks all!

Risky

Putting a Betta with a Gourami is always a risk. May or may not work depending on the personality of the fish. I was lucky. My male Betta and Dwarf Gourami pay no attention to each other in a 40L. Neither is aggressive or territorial. I'm sure the Mollies and Kitty Tetras are very distracting too. A Betta sorority is doubling the risk as even two females may be aggressive to each other. As you have only one tank, it may be taking too much risk.

Thank you Sunny for the insight, you're probably right. I just don't know what I want to add to the tank now, I loved the idea of some bettas but don't want to create a bad environment. Any other fun stocking suggestions? I forgot to add there are 4 harlequin rasboras in there as well.

Thanks!

Rasboras are nice. Research the shark and pleco for tank mates. Danios are active and easy keepers. Black Skirted Tetras can hold their own. Cardinal Tetras will add color. Your shark needs room to swim and can be territorial. He's going to be big also. Keep other fish mostly in the upper and mid portion of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom