Gourami bitten or a disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay gotcha. It's so odd looking and has me completely stumped lol. I've never had issues with parasites fungus or anything. My water parameters are always perfect and temp stays at 82-84 degrees. I do have a very large common plec. would it be possible that he got stuck by the hard fin from the plec.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm I'm for sure stumped then. :-( guess I'll keep the Lil guy in quarantine for now and see how it does.

Thank ya I hope he is too. It just happened so quick. In less than 24 hrs. And the hole is pretty deep too. Like if he had been shot

I put the male back in main tank and now the female is chasing him around and they was trying to get each other. Kind of in a small circle. Could the female gourami possibly have been the one to get him in the first place? All other fish are still fine and his spot seems to have been getting better.

If the female was doing that my first guess would be that she was trying to mate. What are her and the male's measurements?

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

She's just slightly larger than he is. She kind of flared her fins up at him and went after him. Not sure the exact sizes

From my experience, this definitely looks like an ulcer. I've had constant trouble with dwarf blue gouramis & moonlight gouramis getting them so I'm guessing the species is a bit prone to it if the water quality isn't always spot on. Get some anti-bacterial medicine from your lfs that treats ulcers, I'll upload a picture of what I use so you know what to look for. It usually does the trick for me. I hope this helps :)

Typically British!

Attachments

• 1405464205303.jpg
    1405464205303.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 65
Also I'll show you what my moonlight's ulcers looked like. She first got the one on her side which went down but then opened up just like your dwarf's. My second moonlight got an ulcer on her gill & it lead to oxygen bubbles coming out of it when she breathed. Unfortunately they both died :( hopefully as yours has lasted so long with it then he will be okay :)

Excuse the bad picture quality

Typically British!

Attachments

• 1405465129320.jpg
    1405465129320.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 1405465153254.jpg
    1405465153254.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 50
That's exactly what mine was looking like lol. Is it contagious? All other fish are still fine and he's getting somewhat better still. I'll go tomorrow and get the ulcer mess tomorrow :) thank you so much

Yay you got your answer:) Sorry for the wrong advice, I didn't know what to do.

I never knew about ulcers. Now that I think about it, my female guppy died
from one. I never figured out what it was but it was like a red hole in her body. I panicked and separated her and she died an hour later:( Thank you for the good knowledge, I wish I had known earlier though. She was a good one:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Your alright guppy lop it was better to be safe than sorry. He's still swimming and eating fine. I'm super glad it's not contagious lol

I've found that Dwarf Red Honey Gouramis & Dwarf Honey Gouramis don't get ulcers. They're both one of the smallest type of gourami & I find the larger types get ulcers, even if they're they larger "dwarf" types, like yours. I've attached pictures of my two Dwarf Honeys & my one Dwarf Red Honey. These guys are awesome & I highly recommend them due to their sort of, diseaseless nature XD so maybe get some of these? :)

Typically British!

Attachments

• 1405517143098.jpg
    1405517143098.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 1405517260283.jpg
    1405517260283.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 49
I wish I could get them but all my LFSs sell the 'standard' dwarf gouramis ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405517600.810440.jpg this is one of mine, Fred.

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

He's beautiful, I had some dwarf gouramis about 4 years ago before I found that there are other variations of gourami XD I really want some kissing gouramis

Typically British!

Back
Top Bottom