Gourami people, I have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
So [anyone notice that I always start a post with "So"? I'm from Wisconsin :p] a few months ago I got my first gourami. He's a gold gourami, about 3 inches long, and his name is Mr.Gourami-san. I have a 20 gallon tank and originally I got the gold guy and another blue gourami. Woops. They fought non-stop until I took the blue guy back to the pet store the next day. Then I got a female gold gourami and Mr.Gourami-san terrorized her, so she had to go back to the petstore. I'm planning to upgrade to a 40 gallon tank in the next few months, so I'm wondering, am I ever going to be able to get another gourami? Several more? Would things be more peaceful if I had say 5 gouramis? (in the 40 gallon tank of course). Right now the gourami is the king of a small community consisting of 4 cories, 3 platys, 2 otos and himself. Just looking for some suggestions on what other fish I could get in a 40 gallon tank with these fish. This tank will be planted but probably will be very open (no long stem plants). I know I can have a school of some tiny fish but that's kind of my last resort. They've never been too interesting to me. Any thoughts would be cool (unless your only response is something like "your platys will breed like crazy" etc, because thats not what I'm asking, and no, they wont).

Your platys will breed like crazy and take over the tank, lol, j/k. I would sya it would be fine. Are you sure you have a male? It sounds fine to me to get another but the only thing i have to say is that gouromis have personalities just like cichlids, you could get 1 that is a butt head and is mean or you could get a gental 1. More will spread the aggression yes. a 1 male 2 female ratio might work better, but the more cover you have the better.

I have a gourami species tank that houses 9 blues,7 golds,4 pearls,3 dwarfs and 5 moonlights. The more i seem to add the less chasing goes on. I house quite a few large males over 4" with no agression issues at all. Every fish has it's own personality...just make sure there's plenty of cover.

Back
Top Bottom