gourami question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellowyellow

Aquarium Advice Freak
:confused: I'd like to make a gourami my featured fish in my 20g freshwater tank. Can anyone tell me if I would need two or can I get along with only one. I know some fish don't last long without a buddy. What can you tell me about a gourami? If I need two, that's ok. Whatever it takes to keep the fish happy.

You can do one gourami, if you do more it is best to have a F:M ratio of 2:1. Certain gouramis can do ok in pairs.

Most gouramis sold in stores are males...and they do fine alone. Despite the fact that they are displayed with multiple males, it is not recommended for you to do this in your own tank. They are territorial although some are very peaceful.

They make a lovely showcase fish. I am considering an opaline gourami for my 20gallon :D

Depends on the type of gourami as far as how to stock them. Most will be fine solitary.

Many are actually better off alone. They are territorial with each other esp if there are only 2 or 3. In a small tank one is the best option.

I have a pair of moonlight gouramis and they are fine. That might be dumb luck though, because I didn't ask about how they should be paired (or not) before I bought them - it sounds like they should not be paired. Gourammis are beautiful fish, though. I think they're a great addition to a tank.

I don't know exactly what kind of gouramis you are looking into, but I really really like the sparkling gouramis and the licorice gouramis. :)

KaiofCanada: I haven't seen an opaline gourami. I'll check my listings again. Thank to everyone for their quick responses. To the LFS next week. Yeah!

Yipee! I am stocking my tank sometime next week too. It should be finished cycling by then. I am excited to see something swimming in the tank :). Keep us posted on what you get. I love seeing pictures.

Remember that Gold, blue, opaline, 3-spot, and lavender are the same actual species and they get too big for a 20 long term. You will likely be presented with Dwarf gourami (colisa lalia) which may be named a myriad of common names such as powder blue, starfire red, neon blue, blushing dwarf, etc. They too are the same species and most likely all male which leads to tons of trouble even in a 20. Check out Honey gourami (t. chuna). They are very cool and extremely peaceful, a trio would be great for a 20.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourami

Back
Top Bottom