Gourami Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I went to 3 LFS's tonight after work, looking for a pearl gourami. The only one that supposedly has them is Pet Depot. Of course, they were out, and only get them on Wednesdays. Anyways, I have a community tank with guppies, neons, danios, cories, and sword tails. I only want one gourami in my tank as sort of a centerpiece fish. The only other fish I am planning on getting for now is a clown pleco. If you were me, would you wait til Wed and go get a pearl or is there another kind of gourami that size or smaller that won't be aggressive and harass the other fish in my tank and still look good that would work? Thanks

It depends on a lot of things: size of your fish tank, if the tank is decorated thoroughly or not, the fish's personality and the personality of the gourami itself. Each gourami is different, so no set personality is garunteed.

What size tank? I'd be very leery about getting them the day a shipment arrives and would absolutely QT if I did.

Tank is 55, I have some plastic plants, and the bottom is pretty much full of ships and decorations for them to hide. I know no guarantees, just general idea of what could be good to go

In a 55 you could go with one of quite a few gourami species. Anything from the trichogaster genus would likely fit the bill and luckily they are usually easier to find. Pearls are very cool fish though and probably what I would go with based on their behaviors.

In a 55 you could go with one of quite a few gourami species. Anything from the trichogaster genus would likely fit the bill and luckily they are usually easier to find. Pearls are very cool fish though and probably what I would go with based on their behaviors.

The only thing that makes me weary of getting one there is the idiot kid working there had to ask me what they look like when we went up to the tank they were supposed to be in. I don't know how comfortable buying fish from a place the employees can't tell fish apart. The easiest way i could really describe to him was kinda like a small sunfish with whiteish spots

Sorry can't help you there.... I have a difficult time talking to 90% of LFS employees. lol

Is there a local club in your area by chance?

Nah, I live in the boonies. LOL I honestly have been impressed with the people at petsmart even though they rarely have what I want. They always are asking me what size tank I have and what kind of fish, etc to see if they are compatible.

Have you looked at ordering online? That's good about your Petsmart. They vary from store to store and I think the individual managers make a difference. Our local store gives advice that makes me physically heave.

Yeah but the thought of paying like $30 for a fish (including shipping) I could go to the store and get for 8 bucks kinda makes ME heave.

Love2Fish said:
Yeah but the thought of paying like $30 for a fish (including shipping) I could go to the store and get for 8 bucks kinda makes ME heave.

Heave or leave? It shouldn't be that expensive for shipping a fish...

Nah, I live in the boonies. LOL I honestly have been impressed with the people at petsmart even though they rarely have what I want. They always are asking me what size tank I have and what kind of fish, etc to see if they are compatible.

I'm glad you actually like that part! :lol:

I get customers that throw tantrums about it alllll the time. One of my coworkers had a little old lady go ballistic on her because she had "heard the propaganda before" when she was advising her against putting 6 goldfish in a 1 gallon bowl.

On topic.. Pearl gourami's are definitely awesome, though. Hope you find what you're looking for.

I'm glad you actually like that part! :lol:

I get customers that throw tantrums about it alllll the time. One of my coworkers had a little old lady go ballistic on her because she had "heard the propaganda before" when she was advising her against putting 6 goldfish in a 1 gallon bowl.

On topic.. Pearl gourami's are definitely awesome, though. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Well I would rather them know what they are talking about and ask me a million times assuming I'm stupid than not know what they are talking about and give bad advice

Most people aren't like that, though. I've had complaints filed against me because they think I am talking down to them, when really I am just trying to make sure they make an informed decision.. and flat out denying them when they are not.

Anyway, fish shipping does seem to be very high. On aquabid I see a lot of free shipping tags, but that tends to be more with bettas. I usually have to really scan through them for a while before I find deals that don't dent my wallet too terribly. Plus there are usually a lot of groups being sold, and not just singles. Never thought I'd read "6 pack" in relation to fish. :p

Are you allowed to do side transactions on aquabid? I mean like if someone is offering 10 of one kind of fish and you only want one can you make them an offer and just do it like that? I mean on ebay they don't let you so I understand if not

I've never tried, but some sellers might. If they have a large quantity and multiple auctions I can't imagine they wouldn't be willing to work with you on the side. Worth asking, just make sure they have a good selling history. ESPECIALLY if you do the transaction on the side. Wouldn't be able to do much about it if they turned out to be a farce.

Got majorly screwed with some killifish eggs once and now I'm a little paranoid.

still, don't want to seem cheap, and I know they are shipping a live animal but who wants to pay more to ship a fish than you pay for the fish itself, or like $15+ I understand wanting to make a profit but if it costs say 5 bucks to ship why not be happy for charging someone 6 bucks shipping, you know what I mean?

Are you allowed to do side transactions on aquabid? I mean like if someone is offering 10 of one kind of fish and you only want one can you make them an offer and just do it like that? I mean on ebay they don't let you so I understand if not

Yes. It is allowed on aquabid. You just need to find the seller willing to ship a single fish. Priority shipping to you should be $8-9 depending on the shipping location and weight. Sellers charging considerably more than that should be avoided IMO. Hopefully not too up front or salesy... but we have a lone pearl gourami available that's been here for a few months now. We ship all the time and have feedback available for review here or on AB but I definitely understand when the cost of shipping is higher than the fish price.

Have you looked at ordering online? That's good about your Petsmart. They vary from store to store and I think the individual managers make a difference. Our local store gives advice that makes me physically heave.

AMEN!
I watched an employee at our PetSmart sell 5 Swordtails to a guy who is cycling his 10 gallon. He said they're a durable fish who won't mind new water.....

Oh man, I hate when people sell livebearers to "cycle", though I hate selling anyone fish to cycle with, in general, so I guess I have to pick and choose my battles.

Back
Top Bottom