Gourami with "white patches"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oxymoron

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed the first one between his left eye and dorsal fin yesterday morning and now there are several mostly on his back near the dorsal fin or on the fin itself. These pictures aren't very clear, but the patches appear to be smooth not fuzzy and are spreading rapidly and increasing in size. No spots on any other fish in the tank.

DCP_2019.JPG

DCP_2020.JPG

I know it's not Ich and I don't think it is a fungus, because it appears to be under the scales and or smooth. Any suggestions as to what it might be and possible treatment options?

My tank parameters are...

20 gallon high tank
Penguin 125 filter
Temp - 80F
pH - ~7.0-7.2
Ammonia - <0.25 ppm
Nitrites - <0.25 ppm
Nitrates - <10 ppm
See Sig for fish

Did a fishless cycle, all parameters were perfect. Added 6 neons and 3 otos and checked the water daily for 1 week and all parameters were still perfect. Then added the 3 gourami 4 days ago and had a small ammonia spike, started doing daily 25-30% PWC then started seeing the nitrites rise slightly. First noticed these patches on the one dwarf gourami yesterday morning.

From all the links you posted, Columnaris seems to be the most likely culprit. I don't have a QT, so any treatment I do will have to be on the whole tank. I would really like to know if anyone else thinks this is most likely coulumnaris so I can begin treatment ASAP.

Thanks for your help.

I think you are right. I had a gourami with this once. He was a powder blue gourami. He was very easy to cure... and dont tell anyone, but I didnt even put him in th QT tank... he cleared right up!

Let me know how it goes... I just used malafix.. let me know what you use.

Trying Maracyn first, on day 4 of 5 and no signs of clearing yet. If it doesn't work I'll give Melafix a try next. My water parameters also improved, Ammonia and Nitrites are both now at zero again.

I spoke too soon, my fear that the medication would harm my bio filter has come true. My ammonia was around 1ppm today and the nitrites were between .5 and 1ppm. I did an immediate 50% PWC and will do the same tomorrow. The good news is that the gourami's white patches are fading and he has become less lethargic. After my PWC tomorrow I am planning on putting a new charcoal filter in my Penguin 125 and then Sunday I will probably put some Bio-Spira in to help boost the bio filter. I'll keep up the daily PWC until my parameters are back to normal. Any other suggestions?

Sorry, no other suggestions. I think you are going down the right track...

Its been a couple days now, how is your tank doing?

Ammonia is still getting back up to about 1ppm, doing daily 40-50% PWC. Not much else I can do at this point. On a positive note, none of my fish show any further sign of infection. Just gonna keep up with the PWC until my tank re-cycles.

Back
Top Bottom